Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by cruisefar: Celebrity Summit - Great cruise!!

cruisefar
Member Since 2002

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Summit - Great cruise!!

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We had a great time on the cruise!! I love Celebrity and will definately cruise with them again! The following are the highlights:

1. Stayed at the Verdanza in San Juan. I would recommend this hotel if the price is right. I really liked the staff. The lobby and common areas are great. The rooms are fine. The only negative is the older style bathrooms that are configured horribly.

2. Used a great taxi driver in San Juan that was recommended by the bartender at the Verdanza. His name is Tito. We used him to go into Old San Juan and his brother for a tour after the cruise.

3. Great restaurant in Old San Juan - Punto de Vista. Ate there twice it was so good! Try the skirt steak entree! 2 for 1 Mojitos and the entree was only $15! The owner was very hospitable as was the staff!

4. The Summit is a great ship. Yes it is older and is lacking some bells and whistles but the main dining room food was fantastic!! The best beef I have had in More years on a cruise! Our cabin was fine, the balcony carpet had some rust stains in the corner and the bathroom mirror had some spots but everything else was great! Loved the Aqua class shower with glass doors and tower shower. Good water pressure. Loved the welcome bottle of wine, canapes, and little gifts they give you. We were traveling with friends that did not book Aqua class so we never ate in Blu and never went to the Persian Gardens.
The entertainment was good. The comedian and illusionist were very good.
The brunch they offer once a week is fantastic!! A must do for all!! The buffet is ok. They have limited offerings always and at in between times it is very limited. Princess' buffet was much better. Late night is limited to pizza which is so popular they are out of it most of the time. Hindsight being 20/20 I would skip the pizza and check to see if the cafe on deck 5 was open. It was fantastic! I did not discover they were open late until the end of the cruise.
The main dining room experience is something I will never forget. First of all it's beautiful 2-story design is gorgeous. The maitre d was so accommodating. We requested the perfect table at the center of the staircase on the top floor and received it on the 3rd day and had it for the rest of the week! Amazing!! They served Rodney Strong Merlot as part of the classic alcohol package! All of the desserts were great!! The wait staff were fantastic! They started bringing our drinks without us ordering them, very good memories.

5. Ports of call
St Thomas/St John - Snorkeled at Trunk Bay and will never do it again. The beach is still beautiful but the snorkeling is very poor. There is not much living coral left. Very sad to see!
` Turner beach in Antigua is as beautiful as the last time I was there!
The Boatyard in Barbados is still beautiful and a lot of fun!
St Maarten is still the place to shop. Orient Bay is still gorgeous!
St Lucia - I did not do a tour this time but will always recommend Herod!

I would highly recommend this cruise and look forward to booking on a newer ship!! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>