Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by owlfan83

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by owlfan83
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fascination
Member Name: owlfan83
Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: Jacksonville
Cabin Category: 6A
Cabin Number: R236
See More About: Carnival Fascination Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Rates 5+

Great trip!
This was my 1st solo cruise so I was a little nervous, but it was great. Met a great group of guys in the Imagination dining room the 1st night and hung out with them and a couple from Illinois the entire trip. The food was good (try the escargot and lasagna bolognese for sure on the 1st night!) pretty much the entire trip. The only thing to look out for is the penne mariscos on the final night in the Imagination dining room; they use shark scallops instead of the real thing, and the pasta was undercooked. Very yucky.

The Divas and adults only comedy were great. The Divas show is really for younger folks since the older people won't know many of the songs. The songs were all from female singers in recent years, so it was party time! Willie the comedian is nasty but hilarious. NO kids under 17 at his show, for sure.

The ship itself was very clean and nice. The room was great; stayed in R236. The 1st night out the water was rough and it was fun to see the spray hit the window since the water wasn't but about 15 feet below me. Could have been farther down, but it didn't look it. Quite mesmerizing! I stared at it for about an hour before going to sleep. Be sure to pack motion sickness meds b/c there were a lot of folks getting sick that 1st night. I don't get sick on the water at all; my luck I get sick when I get back on land. Was dizzy and queasy the whole weekend when I got home.

The DJs are good, DJ Goa especially. Went to 70's night in the Diamonds disco and it was a blast. 80's night was the final night, but I was pooped so went to bed early.

Key West was beautiful; take the River City bus tour around the city, and you can hop on and off all day. The driver was very informative, but he was obviously reading from a script. He didn't have much inflection is his voice; just like he was reading from a page. Learned a lot though! The ice cream shop right in front of the bus stop isn't very good and is incredibly expensive. $10 for a coke and 2 scoops of cuban coffee ice cream. I ended up throwing the ice cream away after a couple of bits; it was grainy and not creamy like it should be.

In Nassau, they cancelled my snorkel trip after I waited for an hour due to the boat's mechanical difficulties. That was frustrating, but I took advantage of the fact that all the kids were off the ship to jump in the lido main pool and float around while the waiter brought me drinks. That was pretty great! A bunch of folks went down to Senor Frogs (walk through the Festival Marketplace, then turn right and go down to the end of the pier; you can't miss it), and came back tore up from the floor up. They had a great time; there were conga lines and free shots all around. Be careful in Nassau with your belongings, though. The couple I met was robbed as soon as they walked to the straw market and had to spend 2 hours at the police station. The straw market is just a bunch of stalls packed into a huge building; very stuffy and it's the same things over and over. T-shirts, cups, magnets, hair barrettes, cheap cloth purses. When you go deep inside they offer you drugs, so stay away! They are not legal in Nassau; no matter what they say. Don't want to spend your vacation in prison.

A lot of tweens were hanging out in the lido's atrium area the last few days and getting in the walkway, which made me wonder where their parents were. My only complaints about this cruise were the snorkel trip being cancelled, and the penne mariscos on the last night. I had the penne on the elation last November and it was great, so I was really looking forward to it.

All in all, had a ball!