Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by mavrington: Great cruise. Vast improvements over the Dream.

mavrington
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great cruise. Vast improvements over the Dream.

Sail Date: April 2013

The Breeze and Dream are essentially the same ship in Carnival's Dream class, but the Breeze is miles ahead. The beautiful Caribbean themed decor of the Breeze is the best upgrade over the Dream.

Embarkation/debarkation was simple as always in Carnival's Florida ports.

ROOM:

Our aft Lido Deck balcony room was in the perfect spot for the activities of the waterworks, camp carnival, sports deck, and serenity area. The room is spacious enough for four people with a king bed, and two twins (one from the ceiling) that are essentially bunk beds. Nice balcony with two chairs and table. Very quiet room with little noise aside from the occasional loudmouths in the hallway.

ACTIVITIES:

Daytime activities are plentiful on sea days with trivia and sports and other stuff. We took our trip in late April after spring break so there weren't a million kids on board. That was a plus. The sky course is a lot of fun after you get the hang of it. My son and More I would race when it was not busy (port days in the morning). We finished it in under a minute after a few tries. The mini golf is fun and my 5 year old loved it.

On port days many people rush off of the ship early so the pools are empty. My family of four had the waterslides to ourselves for an hour in the morning the day we got to Grand Turk.

There isn't much to do at night unless you go to one of their terrible shows. They double up a lot of activities during the day, so you have to choose between dodgeball and a trivia show, but after 5:00 there is essentially nothing to do if you have late dining (8:15). They have movies on some nights on the big screen and that is nice if the weather cooperates (which it did). Other nights are "Caribbean Party" or "Mexican Fiesta" where essentially they play a music theme and little kids dance around and everyone else looks at each other like it is a junior high dance.

My 5 year old loved Camp Carnival and asked to go there a few times.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Shows -- terrible. Those singers don't belong on the newest ship in Carnival's fleet. The Love Souljaz band seem to be good musicians but they are drown out by the shrieking lead singer. Avoid the Ocean Plaza area in the evenings due to this. I like Piano bars sometimes, but they guy on the Breeze was not good. There were a couple of funny comedians during our week. We did not try the nightclub, but they seemed to be busy a few times when I passed it after the comedy shows.

FOOD:

Mostly good news here. The breakfast buffet was adequate but nothing was truly a must-eat. No mango or strawberries. Lunch was better in the buffet. The Guy's Burgers are fantastic. The taco bar was pretty good too. Pizza was good but they are too slow.

Main dining room service was great and the food was good, but nothing really remarkable. I expected more. The food at nice Mexican all-inclusives is much better. Nothing was bad though, except for the mahi mahi. Escargot, filet mignon, prime rib, and Chateaubriand were all good, but not great.

Room service: We ordered twice and both ordered came in 30-45 minutes. The first time we ordered two sandwiches without mustard but both came with mustard and they sent two more in 15 minutes. The second time we ordered breakfast and they forgot the orange juice.

The ports will be reviewed separately. Overall this is a great ship and I would go again. The only real issue I had was the lack of evening entertainment options. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze 10228

Plenty of room for four people. The balcony is a must for us, and it offered great views at all times of day. Bed was comfortable. Enough closet/drawer space for four people. Bathroom size adequate for cruise ship. Great water pressure in the shower. Very quiet as one or more of us took a nap every day.

Why 5+ rating when I did nothing but lie on the beach and drink beer? Because it is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Bypass the port area nonsense and walk a couple hundred feet up to a little yellow shack with a small sign and a bunch of free chairs. Try the Turk's head beer. Their jerk chicken was the best food I had on the whole trip. Say hi to Chili and Rudy in the little yellow shack bar.

This is the friendliest port of all in the Caribbean. Everyone is so nice and no one asks for anything. The straw market people don't even care if you buy anything. We didn't do much but walk around. We went to Fort Fincastle and took a few pictures before finding a place for lunch. There is a small pub to the left when you exit the port area. The sign says "$3.00 Sands drafts". Go there and have some calamari. The best I've ever had.
Read 2631 Nassau Reviews

Everyone has their hand out for money from the moment you get there. It's quite annoying after a while continuously saying no and still being followed and bothered. We spent a half an hour in one of the markets and bought some junk. On the way back to the ship we found a little place on Main Street called Under the Stairs where we had a few beers and some fresh fish. The jerk pork pretzel is a great appetizer too. Skip Dunn's River Falls if you have ever seen a waterfall in your life. The view from the ship is great. If you have a balcony order room service for breakfast and enjoy the approach to the port.