Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Sam13010: Adventure Fun

Adventure Fun

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

First of all I am traveling with a group of 16 who like to have fun. Most of us are from Atlanta, GA. We chose the Adventure of the Seas because of the Southern Caribbean ports we were going to visit and the great price. Seeing this is my 35th cruise I will hopefully answer any of your questions.

Most of us flew in the day before and stayed at the Embassy Suites by the San Juan airport. It is a great hotel that offers suite rooms so plenty of room for your luggage, free drinks at the nightly Manager's Reception, a nice pool, and a fully cooked free breakfast in the morning. We arrived at the port at 10:30 AM. For the first time the porters came to our taxi/van and picked up our bags! We didn't have to even carry them three feet! Fantastic service San Juan!!! I only wish every port was like this.

We checked in with hardly any lines, except to get your carry-ons through the x-ray. Once we received our Sea Pass cards we were seated in rows of chairs until the ship was More ready to board. We were on the ship by 11:15AM. The cabins didn't open until 2:00 PM so it was good we packed our bathing suits in our carry-ons. By 1:00 we were enjoying the pool and the beautiful weather. Around 2:30 we went to our rooms to find that most of the bags for our rooms arrived at our doors.

I am very picky. After reading some of the reviews I expected to sleep on frayed sheets, walk on stained carpets, and eat week old food. Our room and all of the ship looked great. It was same as the previous two Adventure of the Seas cruises -- very clean and well maintained (nothing was frayed or stained!). Sure it still doesn't have the latest Royal Caribbean "Oasis" technology and the TVs were still the old "box type TVs" (rather than flat screen TVs), but who cares. We had a great time.
The new menu was a bit confusing until we understood it (second night), but the food was great. A few items I loved were missing -- like the escargots. Our service was excellent with our two tables of 8 from our waiters, Adrian and Randolph supported by Jomar, our assistant waiter.

My only complaint was the entertainment. The first 4 days the shows were not to the Royal Caribbean standard, but they made up with the last three days. On the first night we had a mime. Not the most exciting show. The next night we had a dancing production show. Not my favorite, and most of our group walked out about halfway through. The next night we had a slow singer who sand on Broadway. Once again the late show time put some of us to sleep. However, The Ice Show, the Rock and Roll Production Show, and the Temptation Tribute was great. One of the people in our group was not that excited to see the ice show, but she went and was giving them a standing ovation at the end. The Temptations had to be one on the best shows I have ever seen -- especially if you like the music of Motown.

Our cabins were all cleaned by the same Room Steward -- Maria. She was great and did a great job of keeping our rooms spotless. I was excited to see Savio, the Guest Services Manager, from the Oasis on this ship. The ship left Sunday April 21st for England. The ship will be getting the "Oasis" upgrades in 2014 so it will be even better. We had a great time, so I would highly recommend this ship to anyone who asks. If you want to contact me send me an e-mail with Cruise in the subject line to s1magruder at Comcast dot net. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 8618

We had a "hump" cabin. We did some noise at night, but very convenient to get up and down -- down for the dining, up for the pools! Great views from the balcony.