Saga Sapphire 4

“One night taster at Southampton”
Cruise review of Saga Sapphire

silversurf
Member Since 2009
131 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

A friend and I are considering a cruise next year to the Fjords, we'd like to sail from the UK, so when this offer of one night in Southampton on Saga Sapphire came up I decided to try it. I had been a few years ago on a RCCL ship in the Caribbean. I travelled with my partner who had never been on a cruise ship before.

I cannot help but compare Sapphire to Serenade of the Seas, which is the only other ship I have been on. Some negative but many positive.

Embarkation: As we were only staying one night we drove to Southampton and found the car park easily with instructions sent by Saga. There were a lot of staff to direct us to the ship and give us instructions. All were friendly and courteous. We had been advised just to take hand luggage. We had to wait just a short while in the terminal before embarking. It was a very long walk along the covered bridges to get to the ship.

First impressions: A funny little old fashioned ship. But staff were delightful More and ship very clean.

Cabin: Very clean, comfortable beds and pillows, good quality bed linen. Fairly small and not that well planned, especially the wardrobe area which was right alongside one of the beds, thereby making it difficult for two people to access it. Bedside lights were not well-planned and would disturb your partners sleep.
Balcony was very narrow. Only room for two chairs and no table.
Bathroom was huge, bath with shower over. Lots of room for personal toiletries. Large bottles of complimentary toiletries supplied. Lots of grab rails and a rubber bath mat, ideal of older people. Shower was a bit complicated to operate but OK when you got the hang of it.
Tea and coffee making facilities supplied and also a hairdryer.

We had afternoon tea on arrival, very pleasant but they seem to use UHT milk as opposed to fresh.
Then a tour of the ship, one of the directors was our tour guide, very pleasant man but tour not well planned as we didn't start on one deck and work our way up but dotted from deck 2 to 5 then back to 3 and so on. Parts of the ship were closed for refurbishment including the buffet restaurant.
Time to change before the Captains cocktail party, with free champagne, g and ts or fruit punch. Once again staff were very welcoming, with the European officers being much in evidence.
Dinner was excellent with free wine. We had a speciality coffee after which was served with flair by the delightful Filipino staff.
Onto the show lounge for the entertainment which was Motown with singers and dancers. OK but not first class. They then had a Beatles tribute band which was well received with many people getting up to dance.
We finished the evening in Coopers Bar, which was welcoming with a couple of Saga staff socialising with passengers. Thanks James and Mel.
Breakfast was menu or self service, but after such a late night I didn't want much.

Disembarkation very easy, with lots of staff on hand to wish us a good journey and hope we enjoyed ourselves.

To sum up: I loved the British atmosphere of the ship, the reasonable pub prices for drinks, the food and wonderful smiling staff. On a proper cruise there is also the advantage of included insurance, the free car to the port and no extra gratuities. But I felt it lacked the sumptuous decor of the US ships and it also seemed quite crowded in the public areas.

My partner was not so enthusiastic as he felt claustrophobic, but to be fair I don't think cruising is his thing. Less

Overall Ratings

Published 04/30/13

1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic's Saga Sapphire Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?