“Hoping for Paradise”

Member Since 2013
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I consider my wife am I seasoned cruisers. This was her 10th and my 9th on Carnival. We have never had any excuse to complain about anything ever on any cruise. We enjoy the boat, the ports and everything about cruising. As this was her PLATNIUM cruise we enjoyed the boarding perks as well as other little extras throughout the cruise. We left Tampa on Saturday afternoon. As we were allowed to go to our room a little early we noticed very quickly a strong smell in the hallway right at our room. It smelled as though someone had been sick and failed to make their room. It was awful. I began to wonder who or when someone would address the smell. We saw nothing out of the way but the smell was over the top. I soon ask the room steward about the smell and he informed me that a sewer line had broken or cracked and was allowing the smell to fill the hall. The smell never came in the rooms as far as I know but we had to walk thru the smell each time we came to the room or left the room. He told me that it would be fixed when we came back to Tampa's port. WOW, now on Sunday they cleaned the carpet in this area and had fans on ti to dry. This was much better. Monday the smell was around all day. Cleaned carpet again on Tuesday, smell was gone all day. Wednesday we had the smell all day and on Thursday morning still as we ported. The vomit smell in the hall is not what you want after going to the dinning room for breakfast and enjoying the wonderful Eggs Benedict. Now for the bed in this room, I don't think it could be sold in a yard sale in Honduras. The bed was the beginning of a canoe. It was cupped and forced you to the middle (good for rough seas only). I had to wake up every hour and turn over or take a chance of setting up rigamortis. I hurt every morning. (Good way to get you to go for a massage). Hey, what happened to the great beds. My wife and I always enjoyed the beds and each room had fliers in the room to purchase the bedding and down comforters. They were great on all the other Carnival cruises we have been on and you could walk around the entire bed. I had to crow hop over the corner of the bed where it joins the life jacket storage. They touched so I had to hop over the corner in the middle of the night in the dark, as we older men sometimes have to do, to get out. We went to the pursers desk and shared our concerns with them. I also sent in the E-Mail grade card sent to me addressing this situation. The pursers desk said simply, "We are sorry, is the smell getting into your room?" WOW, now lets not get too involved or excited. Hey, I am walking thru some really bad stuff here. Methane gas has killed a lot of people in coal mines. It will explode under the right conditions, and I mean a BIG BOOOOOM. It is deadly. Nothing came from my return of the E-Mail, as I had expected. My Carnival vacation planner had about the same concern. No advise other than lets go on another one. The only other thing about the room, DO NOT EVER STAY UNDER THE GALLEY!!!! Tile floor and wheels make a lot of noise. Our room steward was the best, our dinning service was the best, the folks on Lido were the best. All around the boat was good. We got in at a good price and we got more than what we paid for with the exception of the room and hallway. As I said earlier, we have never complained, nor am I pursuing anything free from Carnival. I am a little miffed by their concern and welfare of the guest. We truly expected more in the room and hallways. I am not looking forward to another cruise like this. If quality has gone down to this level across the board with Carnival, I will book else where next time.
Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior

Port
We love renting a car or jeep and do our own thing. Riding around the island doesn't take long and the different canteens and bars you can stop at are great. We also shop downtown as well.
Read 4,590 Cozumel Reviews
Published 04/30/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?