Norwegian Star Cruise Review by RanyDany

Cruise Date: September 2006
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: U.S.A.
Cabin Category: IE
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        3-6 3.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Star - USA

We took a repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles with my wife and my 4 year old. It was our fourth cruise and my daughter's first.

The good: Cruise was as promised. We didn't find any unpleasant surprises. The staff in general is very likeable and helpful. Most of the activities started on time. The accommodation was very good. The ship is fairly new and it shows. Restaurants are not extraordinary but the food is good and they deliver what they promised. The embarkation process was good considering that it was out of the ordinary (the cruise left at 11 pm and arrived to the port around 5 pm... a challenge).

The bad: Although I did know about it, the automatic tip model is not something I like. Tips are supposed to be a reward you give to a people when they give you a good service and not an automatic reward of any kind. If that's the policy for NCL, I'd rather have the "tips" charges upfront (in the cabin price) and let us tip the employees delivering really good service.

We used the Children's program and we have mixed feelings. True, our 4 year-old had a great time, BUT, we would like to see an opportunity to be involved in some of those activities. It seems to be designed to drop the kids and forget about them for 9 hours a day. It would be nice if, for example, they have a Parent and Tot afternoon or a meet my parents afternoon or something like that.

The Ugly: First day, we enter the cabin, put our suitcases in the closet, drop down dead in bed. I noticed something underneath our cabin's desk, approach it... A Bra! A purple big sized bra! Well, not a pleasant first sight in a cruise, don't you agree?

In general, I would say the cruise was fun, we enjoyed it and we most likely will go again on a NCL cruise.

Publication Date: 10/10/06