Ruby Princess Cruise Review by creampea

Cruise Date: April 2013
Cabin Category: K
Cabin Number: D112

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Finally a cruise for gluten free people
We flew from Phoenix to Fort Lauderdale on United the day before so there would be no hangup in getting to the ship on time. I recommend if you have to the time plan a day before and and day after your cruise date. We stayed at the Sleep Inn and they had arrangements to the ship and back to the hotel when you get back.

On picking a cruise line we looked for a line that had meal options for dietary restricted people.

My wife has Celiacs and was concerned about what she would be able to eat on a cruise ship. She has to be very careful or she will have severe pain. We let Princess know ahead of time so they could stock enough gluten free options on the ship, and they assured us that there would be options available. She was still worried so she took some food on board just in case.

We got a letter waiting in the stateroom saying the dietary restrictions have been addressed and not to worry about it. We just had to let the head waiter know in the dining room. He took special care of her meals and each night came by with the menu for the next night to prepare what she wanted ahead of time.

The stateroom was a interior room but was fine since we were not going to spend much time in it. If you are planning on spending some time in your room get a balcony room. There is a big difference in the experience. We had some friends with us that had a mini-suite, oh my what a nice room. We were at the front of the ship a the Dolphin deck. There was some motion every night but neither of us get sea sick so it was fine.

The shows were better than I expected. I only have carnival line to compare to but hands down Princess was much better. I also liked the Movie under the Stars which we took advantage of twice.

The food was unbelievable. They had bread, appetizers, main dish, and deserts. She was in heaven. More options then she could get on land at home. She is prone to react from even cross-contamination and had no issues at all the entire time. The head waiter was very knowledgeable about dietary restrictions and very kind and professional. My wife and I will be cruising with them again. We are planning our next one already.

The bar staff was great, and I would recommend bring your own soda pop with you on board. If you tag it with your luggage they will have at your door when you get on the ship. Cheaper than paying for the Soda sticker or buying at the bar.

There is a 15% gratuity added to everything you buy so be careful what you buy. Just remember if its on sale add 15% to the price and see if its still a good deal.

We did not schedule any excursions this time because none really sounded that great. The ports were fun enough without buying an excursion. If you want to see something just grab a cab.

Overall the cruise was just what my wife and I needed to relax for a price that we could afford. I would cruise again with Princess and next time worry about the food options for my wife. Just let them know ahead of time and let them handle it. That's what they are good at.

The Disembarkation was a little late because the port had only 3 officers checking passports. Not sure why and the staff thought it was not normal either.

Publication Date: 04/30/13