Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Rileywish: Carnival did their best

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival did their best

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My mom and I did the Carnival Dream cruise out of Port Canaveral mid-March. Now this was not too long after the Triumph disaster with Carnival. Our ports were Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maartin. Nassau and St. Thomas were dirty and boring. Maybe if we had done an excersion it would have been better. St. Maartin was wonderful. Beautiful beaches and great shopping (tho' hawking from the numerous jewelry stores got old fast). When we returned after the day at St. Maartin we were informed that they were having trouble with the auxillary generator and that they would be working on it during the evening. They did let us know that in "15 minutes" they would have to shut the loilets, elevators, and some of the air conditioning off to test equipment. But we were on our way to dinner so we didn't experience any inconvience at all. About 1/2 hour after dinner everything was back up and running tho' they were still having issues with generator. The next morning when we awoke we were More still in St. Maartin port (we were suppose to leave during the night) They informed us we could go back on the island all day if we wanted to...which we did. Later that evening we were told they could not fix the generator and that they were going to fly us out the next day (Friday) and Saturday (4600 passengers) back to Orlando and for those of us who parked at Port Canaveral they would bus us over th port. We were hoping we'd fly out on Sat to enjoy the pool more but we were the first off the ship. Carnival went out of their way to do everything for us in this unpleasant situation. They gave us back 3 days of our cruise money plus gave us 50% off our next cruise with them.
They chartered Delta Airlines and they were top notch getting us back. They paid part of the parking fees back also. This was something that just happened....could they have gotten us back ok to Port Canaveral without a backup generator??? probably....but after the Triumph they didn't want to take that chance. A+++ to Carnival and their employees who went above and beyond customer service for so many people. Then listening to news channels people were complaining about how inconvienced they were and how put out they were when power was shut down (it was only 1 1/2 hours people) they were just looking for attention and their 15 minutes of fame for the cameras. Total nonsense.

As for the trip itself. Getting on the ship at the port was fast. I wanted to get the Faster to the Fun pass but they were already sold out...but we had no waiting whatsoever. We arrived at the port about 11:00 am and went and ate and was in our room about 12:20pm.

I thought the entertainment was so so. Their dancers are great but most of the shows evolved around them. Had a comedian who wasn't that great. Would like to have seen more variety. Other Carnival cruises we had magicians, hypnotists, and other performers. Tho alot of money was spent on the production numbers the dancers did....just would liked to have seen something else than singing and dancing. Food was excellent...only issue was the first day at sea breakfast and lunchtime (especially lunchtime) was a packed mess. Lines were so long. I waited in line for about 35 minutes and finally gave up....went out to pizza stand and it was packed too. So my suggestion is to go down a little early for lunch or maybe get something you can eat a little later and take back to your room.

We had a Cove balcony which was great...almost at water level...so relaxing to have a drink and look out over the water. So worth the extra money you pay for a balcony.

One thing about March...this was the first week of Spring Break. I will definitely avoid this time on my next cruise. Too many kids and teenagers for my taste. Didn't really have any issues with any of them. Pools (only 2 pools and one of them is a salt water pool and both were not very big for the amount of people on the ship) were packed with kids so hard to enjoy. They were even in the hot tubs. Now there is a Serenity section for adults although it really doesn't do much...only chaises and a hot tub for adults. Would have been nice to have a pool in that area just for adults but there wasn't.

All in all an OK cruise. I prefer Western Caribbean cruises a lot more. For the money you can not beat Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Main 2353

Great room...loved the cove balcony. Any room with a balcony is great for the money spent. Housekeeping was wonderful as usual. These people work hard to please the guests.

I thought was port a waste of time. Dirty area...always had to be aware of your surroundings. Didn't really feel safe on the streets. I didn't care for any of the excursions that they offered at this port. Should have just stayed on ship.
Read 2662 Nassau Reviews

I loved St. Maaren. They offer water taxies (about $14 round trip) which we used the 1st day. 2nd day we used the taxies...and it was so much faster and only $8 round trip...plus they let you out in the middle of the shopping district. Beach was beautiful....tho don't think the chaises they have out are for public use. Saw people trying to sit down in them and people ran over and told them they had to pay for them (about $15 for a few hours). The beach was beautiful white sand and the water a beautiful blue color. I did put a towel down and sat for a while and went into the water. The shops are very plentiful as are the street vendors. T-shirts are pretty cheap at the vendors booths ($5.00) so good for souvenirs. Also cloth tote bags are cheap. Streets are filled with jewelry stores and every store has a woman outside hawking the store and trying to give you coupons....aggravating. And the sidewalks are very narrow as are the streets...Taxies zoom down the streets....the 2nd day we were there the street was blocked for automobile traffic, so much nicer to shop. Only complaint was not a lot of places to eat or places I'd WANT to eat at (dirty looking) So don't plan on really eating in the shopping district...not alot to choose from.

Didn't like this port either. There wasn't alot of shopping opportunities and I thought the area was dirty (tho not as bad as Nassau) I probably should have done an excursion at this port...just to do something.
Read 2340 St. Thomas Reviews