Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by JDSQUARE

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by JDSQUARE
Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Member Name: JDSQUARE
Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: D3
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Grand Old Ship
This was our second sailing on this fine ship. There are some signs of age but not as bad as other reviews lead us to believe.

We arrived at the ship via a cab from a hotel and our luggage was put on the curb. We had to lug it around until we found someone from the cruise line to take it from us. We never had to handle our luggage at the ship before and was told they just changed the policy to have arriving passengers get it where it could be picked up. It was already tagged and we had to wait in lines moving it along very slowly. Leaving from San Juan we were able to get a good sweat going. I guess cruising is changing and the experience does not start until you register.

We were able to check in quickly and without any delay - that gave us time to cool down from hauling luggage.

Checked into room(9336) at 1:45 and room was nice and clean and without any issues. Luggage arrived 4 PM without incident and all at once.

clean.

Spent a lot of time in casino and the Casino Host(Dity) was great. The casino was very clean and all the staff very professional and somewhat friendly. Only problem was with the slot machines. They did not appear well maintained. They did not always accept your SeaPass card which is needed to get rewards or logged you out without notice. There was good variety and different types for all to enjoy. Although, I did not witness many people getting any payouts or big hits during the cruise. They seemed to be set not to payout.

We used the SPA services on a couple occasions. For the most part we were very pleased except for the girl who cut my hair and trimmed my beard. Her name was Kimbarly and she does not belong around people. I wanted to have my hair cut short and stylish but all she wanted to know what my blade number was. I told her I did not know and she could do as she pleased. She said she could cut all my hair off if I did not give her my blade number. She was the Stylist and should have been able to cut my hair without a clipper. After that exchange she never spoke to me again and would not even answer my questions. Eventually, she did a good job with the cut and trim but all I wanted was to get out of there. Not a good experience.

We went to the Temptation tribute show and it was great. Did a couple other shows that were as expected for a cruise ship. They were enjoyable and we were glad we went.

The performer in the Duck and Dog bar was the worst performer we ever experienced on a cruise ship. Scotty o'toole was bad. He was loud, did not know the words to most of the songs and his voice left something to the imagination. We could not sit in the bar while he was playing and that was our general meeting spot.

We took an excursion to swim with Sea Lions based on another review we read before the cruise and it was everything the reviewer said it would be. Do yourself a favor if you are ever in St. Thomas and do this excursion. It is well worth the money.

Our wait staff at dinner was fantastic, as was our cabin steward (David). Everyone gave the effort you expect on a cruise. The food in the dinning room was OK but nothing like cruise dinning used to be. I am not sure it will ever be like it once was. Could not even get Filet or Escargot anymore.

All in all, it was a great cruise on a splendid old ship. Glad we were able to do a second sailing on this vessel.

Publication Date: 04/23/13