Viking Emerald Cruise Review by spunky50: Personal service

Personal service

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Other

We had a wonderful time on the Imperial China tour in November, from the time that we arrived in Beijing to when we departed in Hong Kong (extension of trip). We didn't have to worry about our luggage, connections to other flights, or what to eat - everything was thought of. From the tour guides to the person that I booked with at Viking, everyone was professionally friendly and willing to do their best in making our travel easy. I think the only difficult thing for us was not to over pack on our return flight back to Canada.

The Viking River Company has cruising down to a fine art. The people we met on the cruise were fabulous; we enjoyed everyone's company thoroughly. The staff on the cruise deserve a gold star as many do double duty eg. some performed nightly for the passengers. All the staff (including tour guides) diligently work hard in providing good service and try to accommodate the passengers that they serve.

My husband's only complaint wish they had better More coffee. The food was good, I heard some rumbling from the passengers regarding being served too much Chinese food -- I have to address this: Why shouldn't they? If you're travelling in a foreign country especially China, you should not be expecting a 'steak' or 'hamburger' for your meals. Travelling to a foreign place means learning about culture and that includes food.

Overall, travelling with Viking was great and we will be travelling with them again in November - Paris/Normandy. Less

Read more Viking Emerald cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Emerald Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Emerald 334

Our room was in the middle deck which was great as it was near the dining room. All cabins have balconies with two chairs - great to enjoy to view and take photos. Our cabin had all the comforts of home. The shower was bit small but workable. I loved their bath and lotions - the scent refreshing! The bedding and bed - very comfortable. I know as spent two days laying in bed as I was side-lined due to the flu. One piece of advice and warning from our tour guide - always lock your balcony door when at port because the ships are closely abutted together. You actually touch the other ship and get a good glimpse of the other ship.