Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by CRUISEBOY305: April 13th Southern Caribbean in Aqua Class

CRUISEBOY305
Member Since 2011
2,248 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

April 13th Southern Caribbean in Aqua Class

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This was my 2nd cruise with Celebrity, the first one was on the Solstice back in January 2012. I have also sailed on NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean. RC and Celebrity are my brands of preference. I had booked cabin 9043 which was an Aqua Class cabin with a "hump" balcony. The ship underwent a big renovation earlier in 2012.They did a fantastic job but some areas of the ship need a little work. I noticed up on deck 11, the deck chairs , most were dirty and had rust on them. If you're going to spend $40+ million renovating a ship, how about springing for some new deck chairs at least. I did notice some rusty spots throughout the ship too, but in all fairness, I saw crew members patching and painting everyday when we were in port everyday so it's a slow work in progress. And this is not uncommon for a ship the age of the Summit.
My other and last complaint was in the Oceanview Cafe' there is no self service to get food which is great in a way but it causes huge lines. I didn't eat More there much anyway, but still.

Ok now on to all the good stuff.

Embarkation was great. Flew into San Juan the morning of cruise. Landed around 10:30 am collected my bags and was on the ship a little before 11:30am. Took a cab from the airport which was a flat rate of $22

I ate at blu on most nights. I also ate once at The Normandie and twice in Q'sine. All great. Q'Sine was allot of fun. Just make sure you go there hungry.

The entertainment on the ship was a bit reductive. The only good show on the cruise was an illusionist named Jason Bishop who was great, very entertaining. Everything else was very cheesy. Towards the end of the cruise I sort of gave up and stopped going to the shows.

Ports
St. Croix, St Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, and St Thomas
All the ports were beautiful. St Croix I just walked around town. Went to one of the forts which right next to the dock. St kitts booked a private tour with Thenford Grey which I would highly recommend. Took us around the island. And did a great tour. Domincia I did the "Dominica's Favorite" tour with Celebrity which was fantastic. Our tour guide was amazing. Drove us around the island. With a few little stops and stops at the Trafalgar falls and the emerald pool which are both very beautiful. Grenada is a very beautiful port. Did the Grand Etang, Annadale Falls and Fort Frederick. Nothing special about this tour. Grand Etang was nothing spectacular. Not worth all the driving around we did. Annadale falls were nice but the ones in Dominica were much prettier. And in St Thomas I did the "Destination St Johns: Coastal Cruise" which was very nice. They take you on a coastal cruise of the island and then you have about 3 to 4 hours of free time. Most people went off to the beach. I just stayed in town and walked around, shopped a little and had lunch.

This was a great cruise. I think I maybe expected a little bit more from Celebrity. I'm currently booked to cruise on this ship again next month to Bermuda I'm hoping for more or less the same if not slightly better experience. My cabin was great, nice size and clean. Cabin steward was good. Service was great everywhere. Everyone always greeted you with a smile. Food was fantastic in all the venues. The only thing I would say needed improvement on this ship would be the entertainment and new deck chairs on deck 11 Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>