Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by cherrykiwi15: Amazing cruise on the stunning Silhouette

cherrykiwi15
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Western Caribbean Cruises

Amazing cruise on the stunning Silhouette

Sail Date: April 2013

INTRO: We did the 7 night Western Caribbean which left out of Ft. Lauderdale on April 7. The cruise was absolutely amazing! I had only been on one cruise prior, on Celebrity, in 2009. Because of some of the "less great" reviews I had read before leaving, I was a little bit worried that maybe Celebrity had changed in the past four years and we wouldn't like it as much. Fortunately, this was not the case and all four of us (me, husband, and my parents) had a wonderful cruise.

PRE-CRUISE: My husband and I flew in the day of the cruise but my parents stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th (convention center/cruise location) the night before. We stopped into their hotel that morning to meet up with them and shuttle over to the boat together. The hotel seemed just fine and was close to the terminal. One negative -- we arranged to take their shuttle for $8/person from the hotel to the boat. The shuttle was supposed to come at 12:30 but didn't arrived until close to 1. This was More slightly frustrating as we could have just taken a cab but chose to take their shuttle out of convenience. Maybe this was a one time thing, but next time, I'd be inclined to take a cab.

THE SHIP: Check-in at the terminal and boarding was pretty easy and before I knew it, we were aboard the Silhouette! The ship is just so amazing and beautiful, I am still daydreaming about it and we have been home for over a week. The Silhouette has such a classy, elegant, and modern feel. The crowd of people on the cruise was also great. I was expecting a much older demographic than we actually had. There were tons of people in each age group and I found the ship to be perfectly energetic after dinner (just not in the clubs). We are in our late 20s.

My husband and I had a 2A veranda on deck 7 and my parents had a 1C veranda on deck 8. The rooms were great. We found there to be plenty of room, good storage space, and we loved the balcony. We had the 123 promo, so all of us had a beverage package, which we thoroughly enjoyed. It will be hard to cruise again without a beverage package, as we had so much fun trying all the different drinks and bars on board.

The public areas on the ship, as many people have described, are immaculate and beautiful. Some of our favorite spots were the sunset bar, martini bar, and the pool deck. I do agree that the cabanas take up too much space on the lawn and that it would have been nice to have more open seats in that grassy area, like they do on the sides of the sunset bar. However, there were lots of other great spots to relax, so this didn't bother us too much. I also wish the actual pool was bigger. Loved the deck, the seats, and the decor, but the actual pool size was just too small to fit everyone, especially in the Caribbean heat.

FOOD: The buffet in the Oceanview cafe was pretty good -- we enjoyed a few lunches and all breakfasts there. The only thing I didn't like were the scrambled eggs, too wet! We ate every dinner in the main dining room and really enjoyed it. The food and service were both great and we thought the menu had some great offerings. Having a four course meal every night is just such a treat, it was hard for the experience to be bad. None of us felt the need to try a specialty restaurant because we so enjoyed our meal every night in the MDR :). Our sommelier constantly filled our wine glasses up throughout dinner, another reason why it will be hard to cruise again without a beverage package!

ENTERTAINMENT: We only went to a few shows, because we didn't find them too riveting. If I had to suggest one area of improvement, it would be the nightly shows. The two we went to were "fine" but we decided we'd rather spend our pre-dinner time at the martini bar or in the casino. We did enjoy the live music on board though, specifically the steel drums and the group, The Runaways. We also went to some of the game shows (dancing with the stripes, family feud) and those were enjoyable.

DISEMBARKATION: We were expecting this to be a nightmare but it wasn't at all! Had an 8:15 departure time and were off and through customs by 9. Sweet!

SUMMARY: After this cruise, I can easily say that we will be back on board celebrity. The wonderful friendly staff, beautiful ambiance, and great food left me wanting more. Celebrity really does make you feel like you are a celebrity (for example, cold towels after getting back on board at the ports!). The feeling you have while on board is like no other. I am already thinking about where to go next (if only we had more vacation time...and money!). Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Sunrise Deck (7) 7179

Great room! Spacious, found storage to be perfectly adequate, and loved being mid-ship. Lifeboats are below balcony but this didn't bother us one bit.

The taxis that leave from the cruise port have pre-determined rates. You can be sure ahead of time how much you'll owe, which is nice. We first went downtown and walked around. It was nice to get a feel for the city but since we don't really shop, we only spent about 40 minutes downtown. We were impressed with how friendly and nice everyone was. We then took a taxi to the "Money Bar" beach club. I highly recommend this place. It is a restaurant right on the water. There is no cover/entry fee, as long as you drink or eat there. There is no "beach" but they have a sandy area with lounge chairs, a great view of the coastline, and water access for great snorkeling. Our server was so sweet and we truly had the most relaxing time here, just relaxing with beautiful views and beer.
Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews

We only did one Celebrity shore excursion on our trip and it was in Jamaica. I am so glad we did, since Ocho Rios (where most stuff is) is about an hour away. The excursion price included the bus ride, with narration, tubing on the white river, lunch, a boat ride, and Dunns river falls. The tubing was great (the river is so beautiful) and climbing Dunns River Falls was a "must do." It's stunning. I don't know if I will ever go back to Jamaica, but I am truly glad I got to spend a little bit of time there.
Read 486 Falmouth Reviews

The taxis in grand cayman were a bit pricier than Cozumel. We later found out that there is a public bus that runs around town for $2. Definitely recommend looking into that, if you can. We first went to Royal Palms on 7-mile beach and had lunch. Their sandy white beach is beautiful but snorkeling wasn't too great. The beach was also pretty crowded. The charge a $2 entry fee but chairs/umbrellas are not included. Great if you want lunch and a beach though. Later, we went to Cemetery beach, which is further down and much more secluded. This beach was so quiet and lovely and we had the most amazing snorkeling here. If you snorkel, this is a must. Unless you pack a picnic, I recommend eating before coming here, as there is no food/drink nearby.

This was a great port for a good old fashioned beach day. Not much to do besides swim and relax. Labadee is a beautiful island but it does feel weird being in Haiti, without actually "being in Haiti." However, the scenery is gorgeous, the free lunch was nice, and I loved having access to free beach chairs. Also, it was nice how the beverage packaged worked here, since it's royal caribbean owned. Make this your "do nothing/read a good book/relax" day.
Read 366 Labadee Reviews