Carnival Pride Cruise Review by frestuff: First time cruisers (family of 4)

frestuff
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 4.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

First time cruisers (family of 4)

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

Beds

Extended More Balcony

Is a Balcony Worth It?

Noisy Neighbors

Something to Consider if You are a Non-smoker

I believe that people should be allowed to smoke, however, non-smokers also have a right to not be around second hand smoke. I blame this more on Carnival than the smokers. I thought that since all rooms are non-smoking that we didn't have to worry about making sure we get a non-smoking room, like you would normally do when you book a hotel room. Well, I was wrong. Unfortunately, we were not made aware that smoking is allowed on the balconies and that there are no designated non-smoking balconies when we booked our cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Empress 6224

We stayed in Cabin 6224 on our 7 night cruise to the Bahamas. Cabin 6224 is on Deck 6 (Empress Deck) portside. We had plenty enough room for a family of four. I posted more info on the room amenities as well as pictures of the room and view from the balcony on a blog, http://familysmarttravel.blogspot.com/2013/04/carnival-pride-cruise-from-baltimore.html Cabin 6224 is 185 sq. ft. with an extended cabin of 60 sq. ft (regular balcony rooms are 40 sq. ft. of balcony space). Beds Cabin 6224 has 2 twin beds that they can put together into a single king size bed for two. 2 Twin beds put together. In addition, it has a sofa that converts into a bed for a 3rd person; and an upper for a 4th person. I have never heard of an upper before and actually had to look it up before our cruise. It is a bed that folds down from the ceiling and is above the convertible sofa bed so that when both upper and sofa bed are converted, it looks like a bunk bed. Extended Balcony There were 4 chairs and a side table on the balcony, although they were all mismatched. One of the chairs reclined but the others did not. We did ask for another reclining chair although none was available. The view from the balcony was pretty good, although you have the life boats right below on Deck 5. This was not too bad, although it just depends on each person whether a balcony room on Deck 6 is right for you. Depending on where your room is located, you may be in view from public areas (something to keep in mind in case you may think you have a 'private' balcony). There are panels in between each balcony, although you can still see through the spaces between and under the panels. Is a Balcony Worth It? Having never cruised before, we didn't know what to expect and how much room we would need, so we decided to spend a little extra on an extended balcony. Was it worth it? It was good to be able to walk out and get some fresh air and watch the ship go to and from the ports without having to go outside of your room to the top decks. However, I was very displeased to learn that maybe a balcony was not such a great idea. Noisy Neighbors Unfortunately, you can end up with noisy neighbors. The balcony doors slam pretty loudly when you just let it go. Now, the solution to this would be is to hold on to the door and let it close gently. However, we were not so lucky and doors were constantly slamming, which you can hear even inside. The slamming of balcony doors actually made the walls vibrate. We also had neighbors who talked very loudly, which really doesn't work if you want to sit out on your balcony to read a book in peace. I can usually tune out noise with my ipod and earbuds. However, the talking was so loud, since it is amplified somehow by the way the balconies are set up, that my usual solution did not help. Also, the cigarette smoke wafted throughout the balcony that sitting out on the balcony for some fresh air and quiet time became a challenge. Something to Consider if You are a Non-smoker Although all rooms are non-smoking, people are allowed to smoke on the balconies - BIG ISSUE for non-smokers who also paid for a balcony. This is my biggest disappointment on our cruise because we were not able to spend as much time as we would have wanted on our balcony. Cabin 6224 is the 3rd balcony from the front side of the ship, which means that you have two balconies (6220 and 6222) that could potentially have smokers and have cigarette smoke wafting back towards you when the ship is moving. Also, you have four other rooms (6226 to 6332) that may have smokers and smoke lingering around you when the ship is at port. I believe that people should be allowed to smoke, however, non-smokers also have a right to not be around second hand smoke. I blame this more on Carnival than the smokers. I thought that since all rooms are non-smoking that we didn't have to worry about making sure we get a non-smoking room, like you would normally do when you book a hotel room. Well, I was wrong. Unfortunately, we were not made aware that smoking is allowed on the balconies and that there are no designated non-smoking balconies when we booked our cruise.

Snorkeling

(5)
We definitely liked Freeport a lot better. People were more laid back and friendlier. It was a slower paced which is good if that is the type of vacation you are looking for. The marketplace that you pass when you get off the ship has free wifi.

Nassau was very hectic, be prepared to be bombarded by folks trying to sell you stuff (hair braiding, tours, rides, etc.) The Straw Market is a good place if you like to haggle and you know what price you want to pay and what you want. It is difficult to look around each stand to see what they have because the store keepers bombard you with asking you what you want to buy. It was crowded and hectic. Definitely very different from Freeport, which was more laid back. The visitor center, which is where you would pass through to get to town has free wifi access. Junkanoo beach is a free access beach, however it is not kept so watch out for debris and broken glass in the sand. It is however, good enough vs. paying for a day pass if you are only going to be in Nassau for a couple of hours. The hotels sell day passes and some of them include lunch. However, most of them close by 5. I was told by one of the hotels that I inquired with that you are welcome to stay and use the facilities but staff and food service ends at 5 pm.
Read 2646 Nassau Reviews