Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by universalmind_49

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by universalmind_49
Norwegian Sun
Norwegian Sun
Member Name: universalmind_49
Cruise Date: April 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: OG
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
A great vacation...with a few flaws
My GF and I, 31 and 34, flew directly to Ft. Lauderdale on 4/10, the day of the cruise, and took the SAS shuttle at $15/pp to the Port of Miami, arriving a little after 11:00. Embarkation went smoothly and we were on the ship within 30 minutes.

Once on board, we explored a little and headed to the buffet. Our first reaction to the buffet was, "Where is the rest of it?" The setup is not ideal; there are no "stations," just one long line with two sides and a salad bar in the middle. The two sides have the same prepared items, one side has a carving station and the other a pasta station. Where there is an ice cream bar on the right side, the left side has a stir fry station. We were lucky enough to get a Freestyle Daily when we checked in (not everyone did), so we knew that the Seven Seas MDR was open for lunch and that's where we had our first meal. It wasn't bad.

I don't want to go into every detail about the ship, so I'll focus on a few things.

Pros:

The staff was great, particularly the cruise director's staff. Down Under David, Big Ben and Sinful Sin were our favorites; they really turned what could have been a long 11 days into a memorable vacation. I participated in Dancing with the Sun Stars, Karaoke Superstar (coming in 2nd to a professional singer!), the adult hypnosis show, progressive trivia and we did the Perfect Couple game show. All were a lot of fun.

The bartenders and wait staff were very friendly and not overly pushy. I recommend meeting "Bong" at the Champagne Bar or Dazzles early in the cruise. He will keep you entertained. Our stateroom attendant, Rommel, was friendly and funny, but in 11 days we only got three towel animals! We still left him a few extra dollars.

*Note: A lot of the staff we talked to were at or near the end of their contracts, so if you're taking the Sun to Alaska this summer you might not have the same experience we did.

As mentioned in a lot of other reviews, the ship is older but I found it to be in very good shape. It's easy to navigate, seemed to be very accessible for those with special needs, there was never too much of a wait for elevators and it's easy to take the stairs most places because of the ship's size. We almost always take the stairs to try to burn off some of those extra calories.

As far as food goes, the Great Outdoors is a great place to get breakfast. The staff at the omelet stations (or station, if one half of the line is closed) make some pretty good eggs and omelets, but I recommend asking for Crisco spray instead of the two tablespoons of oil they normally put in each pan. The food quality is pretty consistent, whether it's breakfast or late-night snacking.

Pros in the entertainment category, outside of the cruise director's staff, are hard to come by, but there was Terrance B, the hypnotist. His show was entertaining, but we were fairly sure there was no way the people on stage were hypnotized. After I was brought up on stage and participated in his late-night, adult hypnosis show, the jury is still out. I definitely felt relaxed, sort of in a fog, but I knew what was going on the whole time. It was a ton of fun, though, and I had the audience rolling in the aisles, if I do say so myself. It was fun having people come up to me throughout the cruise to talk about it, too.

We didn't hit any weather and the ride was very smooth. The stabilizers really help and neither of us had any issues with motion sickness.

Cons:

All the great service in the world can't cover up for a bad product, namely the food and drinks. The mixed drinks were inconsistent and generally weak, especially considering the prices. We were more upset about the food, though. We only ate at the MDRs and the buffets and the quality ranged from excellent to terrible. The Seven Seas seemed to have better quality food at dinner, but the service was incredibly slow. The Four Seasons had better service, but we had more problems with the quality of the food (my GF literally poured the excess oil off of her plate of sirloin on night three). As previously noted, the setup of the buffet is terrible and the food is hit-or-miss. I will say, though, that the chicken was always perfectly cooked and very flavorful, whether at the MDR, buffet or the poolside BBQ. Unfortunately the pork was always very dry.

Most frustrating was the fact that there are only four drink machines on the ship for 2,000 passengers. One of them was out of order for all 11 days. So if you want iced tea, lemonade or any of the other "flavor enhanced waters" they offer, you will likely be waiting in line.

I should mention that the MDR dinners are what I look forward to most about cruising, which is why it's my biggest con about the Sun. If you are not as concerned about the food, you probably won't have as big of an issue with this ship as I did. I don't know if Norwegian purposely slacks on the quality in the MDR to get you to pay for the specialty restaurants, but it seemed that way and I didn't like it. I was also hesitant to pay extra for dinner when the dinner included with the price of the cruise was so inconsistent.

The entertainment in the Stardust Theater was...interesting. The singers and dancers were fine - nothing special. Most of them either sung or danced but didn't do both, which I thought was weird. The other entertainers included Bud Andersen, a comedian with a weird style that included starting off on tangents about things like his ex-wife, the six college degrees he holds, getting full custody of his son, his wonderful mother, and other things. He never finished these tangents and overall we found him frustrating to listen to and not that funny. There was also a "dynamic entertainer" called George Solomon who put on the corniest show I've ever seen (half of). It's hard to describe, but he would basically tell a little story and then sing a classic song. Poorly. He is clearly not a trained singer or dancer, but he does both. There was also a pair of Cirque Du Soleil-style acrobats that we found to be boring and unimpressive.

Also, that sewage smell that is mentioned in other reviews definitely exists throughout the ship. It's not always there and it never seemed to be in the same place twice, but don't be surprised if you catch a whiff of it a few times during your cruise.

Disembarking was easy for us because we carried our own luggage off, but the people waiting in line in the halls on deck six seemed pretty upset with the process. I think that is to be expected, though. Lots of people and bags going to the same place and only one way to get there = waiting and frustration.

Overall:

We are not complainers; we're happy people who understand how hard everyone on these ships works (not to mention the 12-hour days, seven days a week, nine months a year). We also know that we're on vacation and we're going to make the most of it. Keep your expectations realistic and if you want to have a good time, you will!

Publication Date: 04/23/13