Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by sunlover41: My Epic vacation!!!

sunlover41
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

My Epic vacation!!!

Sail Date: April 2013

First off I want to say we loved the NCL Epic and were very glad we chose it.
Just a little background before I start my review. We have been on the Dawn twice, the Star once, and the Sun once. We love to cruise and especially love being on the ship. I'm 49 and my female friend I travel and live with is 58. I read many reviews of the Epic and wanted to give my review and experiences on the ship.

Embarkation: Flawless!! We stayed at the newly remodelled B2 Miami across the street on Friday night and took a taxi to the port on Saturday morning. We were in the cruise terminal at 11:30 am and by 12:30 we were inside our cabin getting ready for lunch. Kudos to NCL...

The Cabin: Normally we travel in a Mini-Suite but this time we chose an aft balcony cabin obviously facing out the back of the ship. We chose this cabin because the balcony was actually bigger then the mini-suite. We really enjoyed staying in this cabin and found looking out the back was very nice and More tranquil.
We found the wave cabin very nice with plenty of storage space. The bed was very comfortable and had nice sheets and a lightweight comforter on it. As far as the big discussion of the bathroom... we loved it. We have been friends for 33 years so we have no secrets but it was nice to pull the curtain and have the shower area privacy. I found that when you stepped out of the shower to dry off it was like having double the space of bathroom in a regular ship cabin. Also we had no issues with the tiny sink filling up to full or anything. We also enjoyed when you walk into the cabin you had to put your card key in the holder near the door to turn the lights on. Two advantages of this.. you always know where your room key is and the second when you leave you just pull the card and the lights go off after a short time period....convenient. Ok so like I said we enjoyed the cabin but here are some opportunities so its a fair review... only 1 person can pass through the cabin at a time... there needs to be more plugs besides the few near the mini-fridge... also an old fashion digital clock would be nice near the bed. Finally, if you chose and aft cabin you do experience a little more vibration of the engines then mid-ship but we still slept fine.

Entertainment: We saw Blue Man Group, Second City Comedy,Legends. Second City was my favorite especially the adult version. These are very talented performers and they do a great show. I didn't really know what Blue Man Group was and they are talented also but I didn't really understand the meaning behind it so it really wasn't my type of show. Legends was good especially the Michael Jackson impersonator... phenomenal. We also watched the Mex singing duo in the atrium who are both very talented.

Food: We ate at the buffet, La Cucina, Moderno,O'Sheehans, Taste and Manhatten. The food was very good at all... Moderno was a very good brazilian steakhouse. Taste and Manhatten have the same food but a word of advice.. we found it easier to get into Manhatten with less waiting. A couple of things I noticed at the buffet... on the last night the selection wasn't very good as far as meat.. they ran out of white meat of the turkey. Also on that night there was no beef selection. The desserts were average each day which I was kind of surprised at... we did have some great rum balls though one day. Finally, they start picking up different sections of the buffet when it starts getting close to the next meal however one day this seemed to cause some congestion.

Final comments: It is true the air can get stale in the casino and its crowded to walk through. The pools are slightly crowded on sea days and yes everyone saves chairs so its diffcult to get one.
The crew on the ship were for the most part friendly...not everyone however.
Our room steward was fantastic... his name was Patrick... he was the best by far!! We are old school NCL travellers so we missed not having the chocoholic buffet and the broadway shows just about every night.
As I said earlier, we loved the Epic and would most definitely sail again..but I wanted to give my fair review of what I saw. Thanks NCL for another great vacation!!

Disembarkation: I almost forgot!! We walked off the ship with our luggage and were at the airport by 9am. Flawless!! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 14 11319

great balcony, some engine vibration heard, liked the bathroom set-up, very comfortable bed

We enjoy Nassau because its a busy shopping port. Its very hectic so if you don't like that type of atmosphere its probably not something you would enjoy. They do have on indoor type of shopping area which is very nice if you don't want to go out on the street.
Read 2615 Nassau Reviews

We took a beach bash excursion. It was raining at the ship and by time we made it to the beach the sun was out and it was beautiful. The water was warm but very rough. The bottom of the ocean wasn't rocky at all. The shopping in St. Maarten was very limited and I wasn't impressed at all with the vendors on the beach....poor selection of merchandise.

We have been there before and stayed on the ship. It was beautiful the first time but decided to stay onboard.
Read 2321 St. Thomas Reviews