A mixed bag: Adonia Cruise Review by southampton observer
Overall Member Rating
A mixed bag
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
1.Jogging/walking track on Sky deck, 2 miles every Sea day with excellent views.
2. The Adonia Theatre Company. Imaginative and well choreographed shows. Lots of energy great costumes. Never failed to entertain despite the somewhat limited venue that was the Curzon Lounge. Even did a Noel Coward play which was very well received.
3. The recent films. We saw the Hobbit, Hitchcock, Argo, Life of Pi and Cirque du Soleil.
4. Crows nest. Great views, quiet during the day and pleasant when the 'entertainment' wasn't on.
5. Gym. Well equipted. Plenty of space6.Tea making facilities in cabin but why UHT milk? HINT Get milk from Conservatory and store in fridge More
7. Live Premiership football including Manchester derby.
8. Perfume talk. Lady enthusiastic and informed not pushy.
9. Area at stern of ship behind Conservatory where we could sit out and enjoy the scenery while having a leisurely breakfast. Sadly often very busy.
10. Piano player Chris Hamilton, flautist Jonathan Johnson and band Quintessence.
11. Complementary shuttle bus in every port where ship is not docked in town.
1. Much of the food in the Pacific Restaurant was bland and not hot enough. Portions small, ice cream not firm. One main course not edible.
2. The Euro exchange rate on board. HINT Purchase Euro's prior to departure and save lots. E1.15 on land E1.05 on ship!
3. Enhancement programme. Jewellery lectures same script as on Ventura 2011!Seven lectures on Concorde too many and not necessarily appealing to females. Brochure suggested that painting classes would be available; they weren't.
4. Weather and wave forecast on cabin TV product of a deranged imagination.
5. Waiter service indifferent. To be fair the waiters were under considerable pressure to get through service but they were nowhere near as attentive and helpful as on previous cruises. Having to ask for refills of water was a first and my attempts to get them to serve my cheese with coffee after the sweet failed despite several requests. (Ripe cheese can be a bit off-putting to fellow cruisers who are enjoying their desserts.) For the first time in 10 cruises I found it necessary to complain about the waiter service and, to be fair, it did improve but it remained hurried and lacked attention to detail through-out the cruise.
6. Afternoon Tea was a disappointment. Sandwiches and cakes on a wonky stand were at the table when we arrived and did not look fresh. Despite an impressive Tea Menu only one type of Tea appeared and we had to ask for Earl Grey which was brought by a harassed looking waiter who looked surprised by a further request for lemon!
7 Frozen eggs in lunch time salad not handled well by the waiting staff. Not sure freezing eggs is good practice?
8. Conservatory often too busy: seating an issue. Food mostly tepid. Juice and water dispenser slower than a paraplegic snail. Less
Cabin review: JDD000
DOOO. Right at front lower deck 4. Next to crew area so lots of comings and goings but mostly reasonably quiet at night apart from the last night when it was very noisy in the early hours. When rough lots of movement!!! Cabin lay out thoughtful and tidy although sometimes stuffy. HINT air freshener for the bathroom is most useful.Reasonable amount of storage space. Cabin clean and tidy. Steward good but poor understanding of English.