River Royale Cruise Review by richmom

Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: France
Cabin Category: 1
See More About: River Royale Cruise Reviews | France Cruise Reviews | Uniworld Cruise Deals
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated

Ship Facts: River Royale Review (by Cruise Critic!) | River Royale Deck Plans
Excellent Dining Experience on the River Royale with Uniworl
I recently travelled from Lyon to Arles on Uniworld River Royale. The cruise ended April 14. The cruise was named Burgundy and Province. I had an excellent experience in regard to the ship, the staff , and the itinerary. I am writing because to highly recommend the dining experience on board this ship. The Maitre'd was Alexandre. He was a very positive, energetic and welcoming person. I found him to be very professional, thorough, and knowledgeable about food allergies and food preparation.

I am allergic to gluten, MSG and most preservatives. I eat all fruits, vegetables, dairy, meats but they need to be free of chemicals and gluten. Not only did Alexander embrace the challenge, but he worked with the chefs and dining room staff to make sure that my food was safe and prepared carefully. I had excellent meals.

I met with Alexander once a day to see how the menu could be modified so that I chose eat food from the menu for the following day. This required extra work and dedication. Because all the discussion took place in the library, we had a wonderful dining experience. The chef, Roger Demmers and his sous chef Caesar prepared wonderful meals and dishes. It was an adventure at every meal. The dessert chef Dalphina made me some wonderful desserts including a chocolate bomb...I think, and Baked Alaska.

The sous chef, Caesar remembered me from a previous trip on the River Countess, and was able to prepare the creamy rice cereal that I brought from home. It was even prepared better that I could do it myself. Georgi prepared wonderful omelets each morning.

Having food allergies such as mine, can be very challenging, embarrassing, limiting and frustrating for me, my husband and those with usi. I would like to thank the Dining room staff, the Kitchen staff and all the people involved in making this holiday a wonderful stress free dining experience. When one can eat like everyone else, enjoying fantastic food, the whole trip is enhanced. I would like to thank George and Violetta and many other servers for their professional work and their pleasant manner.

I would highly recommend this cruise if you have a gluten allergy or food intolerance. Thanks to the extra work of Alexandre, the Maitre'd, I felt very welcome and included in the fantastic dining experience that everyone else enjoyed.

Publication Date: 04/23/13