Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by Mary M

Member Name: Mary M
Email: collegegradn08@yahoo.com
Cruise Date: April 2006
Cabin Category: H
See More About: Voyager of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Background: My husband and I went on Sovereign of the Seas the year before to the bahamas. Loved the experience, so I researched online to find the perfect cruise for our honeymoon. I really liked all that the Voyager had to offer and it went with this cruise as it worked really well with our wedding plans. We scheduled our Wedding for a Friday night (day before cruise) in Kissimmee, close to where we lived. We got a lot of wedding for a little money. We got married at the little white wedding chapel. They did everything for us. When Alex (hubby) first suggested it, I was not very receptive. But after seeing it, it couldn't have been more perfect. It was elaborately decorated and very intimate. We had close family/friends and nothing more, very simple and effortless. Because we were the last couple scheduled, we got A LOT of attention. All we had to do was come in our wedding clothes and everything else was done for us. The bouquet and pedals matched my colors and everything to last detail. Very nice affair for our small needs. We woke up early in the morning to ready for the cruise. It may not have been breakfast in bed romance but who cares when you have a cruise to get on? We drove from Kissimmee to Miami. Not a bad trip. My husband is a great driver and we were there in no time. We stopped at the port to drop off the bags and had originally planned to drop me off to wait in line while hubby went to drop off the car, but alas the lines were RIDICULOUS at noon. We had rented a car so we had to spend a little time finding the car rental return...but once there it took no longer than 30 minutes to arrive at the terminal. Talked to some really nice folks on the way there and saw them throughout the cruise. They had two children with them and they had lots of questions (It looked like they had a blast by the way).

Embarkation: What a breeze! At 1:30 there were NO lines. We were on the boat in no time. Our room was ready and awaiting us when we arrived. They had our saving coupons for the trip on our bed along with countless other goodies. We were well pleased with the size of the room and HUGE size of the window. I mean ready, it took up over half the wall. It was perfect. My hubby had been eager to book for a 8th floor inside cabin BUT I changed the plans and snagged a oceanview. He was pleasantly surprised and thanked me for the change.

What to do: After dropping off our bags we toured the promenade. What a sight. We were so glad to have this much room to walk around and enjoy the shops and bars. We made good use of both the cafe and the pub during our cruise. The pints they serve at the pub are delicious (and I am not a beer drinker). We stopped off a made reservations for Portofinos (highly recommend it). After our tour it was off to the Windjammer. It was ok (good cakes though). I strongly felt that Sovereign's variety and flavor was much much better...but this IS a big ship. After lunch we explored the ship and went up to the Viking crown lounge. Oceanview seats had all been nabbed. So we sat at the bar instead. Alex had a beer and I had a long island iced tea. Let me tell you, I asked for the strongest drink they had and I never asked it again. Whew, he gave me exactly what I asked for and I had trouble drinking it :). From then on it was strictly drinks of the day, which were very pleasant. I think I only had one that I didn't think was delicious.

Drill: Long and boring. But hey, it needs to be done. Who wants to live through Titanic should the situation ever come about.

1st Dinner: Outstanding. I had the lobster bisque, mmm yum. Can't remember all I had, but I do remember being well pleased. Bread was awful though. I like my bread soft not hard and dry. (Dinners after that were hit and miss, sometimes wonderful, sometimes not so wonderful...but overall pretty good for over 3000 people).

Service: Much better than Sovereign. Loved it. Everyone was wonderful. Except the front desk, which I found to be really surprising.

Entertainment: Outstanding on several occasions. We saw the broadway show, very good. The ice skating show was good also. We saw a few comedy's one was good, one was not. We went to an art auction and had a blast and decided to go to another. The art was beautiful.

Relaxation: We went in the solarium several times...always had chairs. Absolutely perfect for reading a book or relaxing in the hot tub. There is small lights in a blue background on the ceiling giving off a nice under the stars feel. Very relaxing. We also went out on the deck where the emergency boats are kept, I read out there for as long as I could...the sound of the waves was wonderful...but my husband does not like to "sit around". His words "we spent all this money, let's DO something". There was plenty to do of course, but I am a happy camper just reading my books.

Activities: Golf course was a great addition. Pool were not crowded. Band was great. Parades were a very nice touch...so much to do, so little time.

Ports:

Labadee: Wonderful! But we'd have liked it at the end of our trip. It was relaxing. We were located next to the drink stand, under a straw umbrella. Pure bliss. I read my book and we swam a bit also. We went into the market, but be prepared to be extremely firm and blunt. If you are they back off. If you show any amount of interest you're toast.

Jamaica: The falls were beautiful...but we went back on our own and got lost and regretfully wandered through the shops. We were fresh meat and my husband got rude (it worked by the way). We did buy a sting ray hand carved from wood, which the vender engraved with our names and wedding date :). Dolphin Cove was ok. We didn't do the swim with the dolphins but we saw a lot of native animals. Shopping was nice. We picked up some blue mountain coffee and absolutely fell in love with it.

Cayman Islands: We did a lot of shopping here until it rained. We stayed under cover but after a while I looked at my watch and said "I am not wasting money by skipping the excursion, let's go!" My husband just stood there while I went out in the pouring rain. It didn't take him long and he was jogging beside me. Sure enough the bus was about to leave even though it was raining so hard. After we took the bus and got to the boat the ran stopped and the sun came out. It is a choice I never regretted. We went on a snorkeling tour to see the sting rays. Worth every penny. The water was so shallow we never even wore the gear. The rays just swam right up to you. If you had food they stayed if you didn't they took off to the next group of people. It was beautiful!

Cozumel: Boat tender wait was worth it. This was by far the best stop on the trip. We booked an excursion on the princess for snorkeling and drinks/snacks. The "snacks" turned out to be more like lunch and the drinks were fantastic! snorkeling was a bit jarring. You had to swim at a 45 degree angle to swim in a straight line. Current was very strong. But hey, it was good to work off some of that excellent food onboard. After snorkeling we relaxed on the boat and listened to a native guitarist and refreshed our taste buds. Such a perfect day! Shopping was ok. We bought most of our shirts and nicknacks here.

Disembarkation: It was a breeze. We elected to take our luggage off the boat ourselves. It was easy and painless. No waiting, no hassles. The only waiting we did was for the car rental shuttle, which took forever!

Concluding thoughts: Wonderful trip, wonderful memories. We booked again on this boat for the Eastern Caribbean taking our whole family. We are contemplating booking for Liberty of the Seas next year as well.

Publication Date: 10/10/06