MSC Poesia Cruise Review by hoffhack: MAGNIFICENT SHIP! CREW WEAK IN MANY AREAS! FOOD MENZAMENA!

hoffhack
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Bermuda Cruises

MAGNIFICENT SHIP! CREW WEAK IN MANY AREAS! FOOD MENZAMENA!

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Bermuda

Just like her Sister ship, The Orchestra, The Poesia (pronounced PO-E-SEE-AH) Is a gorgeous ship! Spotless, modern and appealing to the eye!! Though the embarkation area was a bit tired (as it was in 2009) signs boasted a new and improved terminal was on the way (I think I remember those same signs!!) Once we finally got past the TSA....ahhh....people??? Embarkation was relatively painless. I use a small mobility scooter, and had little trouble negotiating the boarding equipment. We booked a "Balcony Suite" 15019 and supposed to be the best available short of an "Owners suite, etc.) The room was nice, it even had a small walk in closet, ample closet and drawer space, and an small balcony (10 X 10) and a "COMPLIMENTARY BOWL OF FRUIT!!!" While the room was nice, to call it a "SUITE" is a stretch!!! While it is a bit bigger than a standard size balcony on Carnival or Holland America, I could have booked 2 adjoining balcony cabins for the same $3,200 dollars on More Carnival. And while HAL'S balcony suites are a bit smaller, they also run around $2,400, so, even with the fruit, they were no big deal!!!
Since kids under 12 SAIL FREE!!! After the fiasco we had the last time (600 kids, and they were everywhere 24/7) We hoped, and were correct that the fact that school was back in session, and Bermuda is not a real "KIDS" destination worked out well this time, only 28!!! NERVANAH!
The buffets were a vast improvement over last time. I think the problem is they should stick with what then know, ITALIAN AND CONTINENTAL, and quit putting stuff out, that after 5 minutes in the steam tastes like "rubber erasers!!" Since they only ran the sit down breakfast from 7-9 (Carnival & HAL are usually 7-10) we found a table near the Omelet station, and with a little English (AND SOME SIGN LANGUAGE) I ordered my Western Omelet(s) while the wife explored the rest and scoped out all the best goodies. There was a wide variety, but I have to ask??? "WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT ABOUT BACON????"" IT DID NOT MATTER WHETHER IT WAS JUST COOKED, OR THERE FOR HOURS, IT WAS A REAL JAW BREAKER!!!
And the Crew? While our cabin steward was on the ball, and the ships Operations people were on the ball, Guest services, dining staff reminded us of a combination of "FAWLTY TOWERS!!!" AND "ARE YOU BEING SERVED!!!" One women at the front desk kept giving out wrong information about our departure time from Bermuda for 2 days!!! (4:00PM instead of the correct 200AM) And I finally had to get the Hotel director to go and straighten her out!!! There were many language problems too!! And the constant droning of every announcement coming over in FIVE DIFFERENT LANGUAGES, got tiresome after a while. One excuse they were passing around was that many of the more experienced staff were sent to their new ship the DAVINA!!! SO I GUESS WE WERE "CHOPPED LIVER!!"
We only took this cruise because it was the only on that sailed out of Florida to Bermuda. And in all likelihood, that would be the only way we would sail with MSC again!
I was all for giving them 2 stars!!! But after the wife had time to calm me down, we'll say: 3 and one quarter stars. And if you want to get to see a show, you had better get there an hour early, the theatre is way too small for a ship that can carry 3,500 guests!!! We did not get to see one show! Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia Balcony Suite Alfieri Deck 15019

While our "BALCONY SUITE" 15019 which is the highest passenger deck, with only the sports deck above you. So unless the Zombies are playing mid night basketball or something like that, it is very quite. It is not a through deck however, so you usually need 2 elevators to get where you want to go. Very nice bath with a tub (but not suitable for anyone over 200 lbs.) nice over size queen bed (they call it a King...nah!!!) Ample drawer and closet space including a small walk in with drawers and.

Most of the cruise ships dock at the Royal Naval Dockyard, but Hamilton was the only choice. Hamilton is a 20 minute and pleasant ferry ride from the Dockyard. There are many tours available. Do not try and do too much in one day, or you will have a rotten time. The high points are: 1) Hamilton.....2) Dockyard....3) St. George. in that order.
Read 125 Hamilton Reviews

We have been to Nassau so many times, we now just do a quick tour of the shopping area, pick up a few nick Knacks, and back for some lunch! Plenty of tours available. If you do decide to go over to Atlantis, do not get talked into taking a water taxi!!! The keep you baking in the sun until it is full to the brim, and then they let you off almost a mile from the Atlantis, uphill all the way!!! Share a taxi!!
Read 2663 Nassau Reviews