MSC Poesia Cruise Review by hoffhack

Member Name: hoffhack
Cruise Date: April 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 12
See More About: MSC Poesia Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: MSC Poesia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Poesia Deck Plans
MAGNIFICENT SHIP! CREW WEAK IN MANY AREAS! FOOD MENZAMENA!
Just like her Sister ship, The Orchestra, The Poesia (pronounced PO-E-SEE-AH) Is a gorgeous ship! Spotless, modern and appealing to the eye!! Though the embarkation area was a bit tired (as it was in 2009) signs boasted a new and improved terminal was on the way (I think I remember those same signs!!) Once we finally got past the TSA....ahhh....people??? Embarkation was relatively painless. I use a small mobility scooter, and had little trouble negotiating the boarding equipment. We booked a "Balcony Suite" 15019 and supposed to be the best available short of an "Owners suite, etc.) The room was nice, it even had a small walk in closet, ample closet and drawer space, and an small balcony (10 X 10) and a "COMPLIMENTARY BOWL OF FRUIT!!!" While the room was nice, to call it a "SUITE" is a stretch!!! While it is a bit bigger than a standard size balcony on Carnival or Holland America, I could have booked 2 adjoining balcony cabins for the same $3,200 dollars on Carnival. And while HAL'S balcony suites are a bit smaller, they also run around $2,400, so, even with the fruit, they were no big deal!!!

Since kids under 12 SAIL FREE!!! After the fiasco we had the last time (600 kids, and they were everywhere 24/7) We hoped, and were correct that the fact that school was back in session, and Bermuda is not a real "KIDS" destination worked out well this time, only 28!!! NERVANAH!

The buffets were a vast improvement over last time. I think the problem is they should stick with what then know, ITALIAN AND CONTINENTAL, and quit putting stuff out, that after 5 minutes in the steam tastes like "rubber erasers!!" Since they only ran the sit down breakfast from 7-9 (Carnival & HAL are usually 7-10) we found a table near the Omelet station, and with a little English (AND SOME SIGN LANGUAGE) I ordered my Western Omelet(s) while the wife explored the rest and scoped out all the best goodies. There was a wide variety, but I have to ask??? "WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT ABOUT BACON????"" IT DID NOT MATTER WHETHER IT WAS JUST COOKED, OR THERE FOR HOURS, IT WAS A REAL JAW BREAKER!!!

And the Crew? While our cabin steward was on the ball, and the ships Operations people were on the ball, Guest services, dining staff reminded us of a combination of "FAWLTY TOWERS!!!" AND "ARE YOU BEING SERVED!!!" One women at the front desk kept giving out wrong information about our departure time from Bermuda for 2 days!!! (4:00PM instead of the correct 200AM) And I finally had to get the Hotel director to go and straighten her out!!! There were many language problems too!! And the constant droning of every announcement coming over in FIVE DIFFERENT LANGUAGES, got tiresome after a while. One excuse they were passing around was that many of the more experienced staff were sent to their new ship the DAVINA!!! SO I GUESS WE WERE "CHOPPED LIVER!!"

We only took this cruise because it was the only on that sailed out of Florida to Bermuda. And in all likelihood, that would be the only way we would sail with MSC again!

I was all for giving them 2 stars!!! But after the wife had time to calm me down, we'll say: 3 and one quarter stars. And if you want to get to see a show, you had better get there an hour early, the theatre is way too small for a ship that can carry 3,500 guests!!! We did not get to see one show!

Publication Date: 04/22/13
Read the Bermuda ports review by hoffhack
More MSC Poesia Cruise Reviews