Regatta Cruise Review by unione2: Great in some areas- not so great in others

unione2
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Regatta Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Great in some areas- not so great in others

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

Regatta is a beautiful ship. We were on a 12 day Italian Interludes out of Rome ending in Venice. We stopped in Monaco, Capri, Sorrento, Sicily, Greece, Dubrovnik, and Venice. We were a group of 8 people flew in from the US 2 days before the cruise. Very easy embarking- we waited maybe 30 minutes and got straight aboard.

The service was excellent. It was nice seeing the same staff members every day. I have previously cruised with RCI, Princess, and Celebrity. Celebrity being my favorite line. Oceania had maybe 700 people, which was great with dining- but nightlife was terrible.

The "night club" was an on air jukebox where you could pick songs you wanted to play. The entertainment was in a small ballroom where chairs are set out for guests to sit. This is not by any means an auditorium. The Entertainment staff was very talented, however, the shows were lacking in appeal as I would see many people leave halfway through them.

Oceania truly targets an older More audience. Even on board activities were limited to wine/ liquor tastings (hey- didn't have much else to do)or late night bingo (8pm) and the pool was always crowded.

Food was outstanding. The visit to the Steakhouse was one on my best experiences I have ever had.

The ports were incredible. Being that she was such a small ship, we were able to tender to smaller ports like Capri. ( Previously sailed Solstice for Greek Isles cruise and we had to go through Naples to get to Amalfi- so from a convenience standpoint it was great)

We did have one issue. In Dubrovnik, Oceania literally reserves 1 bus for 700 people to ferry them into Old town. We found that people were pushing and shoving to get on the bus. We waited 45 minutes in a puddle of people ( no line/ tickets etc for those who came first) and were ultimately shoved off the coach. Thus, we never made into our port. It was most disappointing and frustrating considering this was one of the highlight ports. The buses only came back every hour and we were only in port for 6. Also, there were several other cruise ships in port so traffic was insane as for what I understand.

Other than that mishap and lack of appeal for a younger crowd- Oceania is a great deal. Airfare was included in our cruise price as well as all beverages minus alcohol.

If you are a younger demographic- I would bring a big group along as to enjoy yourself. Go for the itinerary and the price- do not go for the nightlife or activities available on board.

Would I sail Regatta again? With the right people and the right itinerary- absolutely- Less

Read more Regatta cruise reviews >>