Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by katisdale: Our Perfect Cruise

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Our Perfect Cruise

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

My husband and I booked this cruise after Princess cancelled our two previous choices so we weren't expecting much from a one week cruise to the Southern Caribbean. At ages 67 and 68 we are "senior" and enjoy cruising as an easy way to travel, The "easy" aspect is important to me as I have problems walking due to having had polio as a child. Then, just after Christmas I had a portion of my upper jaw removed due to cancer. I was unsure if I even wanted to cruise but am so glad we did.

We live 754 miles from Fort Lauderdale and decided to drive to the port. We left on Friday and drove about 650 miles to Fort Pierce where we stayed at a La Quinta Inn. This was a typical roadside motel with a nice breakfast and a clean and comfortable room.

We arrived at the port around 10 AM which is early for us. The previous cruise was still debarking. We found a parking space and after dropping off our large bag went to the terminal. There was no line to stand in, perhaps because we More are platinium and also perhaps because I was on my scooter. We were shown to a lounge and waited for the ship to be ready. We were on board the ship by 11:30 AM. We went to our room and then down to the Coral Dining room for lunch. My husband had the tenderloin and I chose the salmon and we agreed both were delicious.

After returning to our room (B304) we met our steward, Damkerng or DK as he asked us to call him, who exceeded our expectations for a steward. Muster was next and it was easy as our station was in the casino. Then it was time for sailaway and we decided to do this on our balcony. It was lovely and the fun was only starting. From this point onward everything and I do mean everything was done to perfection. We had anytime dining and never once, not even on formal nights, had to wait for a table. We ate with many different people, all of whom were fun to spend time with. The menu always presented us with at least two entrees we could choose. The hot food arrived hot and the cold food was cold. The pacing of the meal was also excellent and we seldom waited long between courses. I particularly loved the various sorbets I tried for dessert, especially the basil lime one I ordered even though I thought that combination seemed strange. It was yummy. We ate in both specialty restaurants which were excellent. We also went to the pub lunch which we also enjoyed although wish the cottage pie was back on the menu. The waiters in the main dining room were all very good but one stands out. We had Agnelo from India on the evening of our 43rd anniversary. He was warm, funny, gave very good menu suggestions, and also sang a few songs for us. He went well above average.

We enjoyed the comedian A. J. Jamal so much, especially when he explained the problems you may run into if you go on the "cabbage diet". The movies were good as was the illusionist. We did not attend the production shows as we had seen them before. We don't gamble so can't describe that. The bar waiters are available but don't bother you which is very nice.

Our steward DK also saved me from having one unhappy experience. I use special shoes to help me walk and the toe of one shoe separated from the sole. DK took my shoe and got it repaired (no cost I should add)in less than 2 days. What would I have done without my special shoes in the islands? I didn't have to find out which was special.

Our cruise was just one perfect day after another. We were even off the ship quickly at the end of the cruise to begin our long ride home. If I had to change one thing about the ship would be simply to stay on it. It was cruise perfection Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja B304

Baja 304 - This is an accessible cabin which was large enough to allow me to store my walker and scooter. There is no step up into the bathroom. The bath has a roll-in shower with a pull down seat. Although directly off the forward elevator lobby we did not hear a single voice. The cabin must be excellently insulated. There are ample grab bars in the bathroom and there is a roll under sink. The access to the balcony is ramped. There was insufficient room to go out on the balcony on the scooter as there would be no turn around. If you must stay in a wheelchair then I would recommend an accessible cabin on Caribe deck as those balconies are larger than the ones on Baja.

We docked in Curacao at about 1:10 PM although we were scheduled to arrive at 2:00. We walked off the ship about 2:30 PM and took a van ride to see the Flamingos and a beach. It was easy to pick up an independent excursion from the pier. However the next time I might do something more structured. Perhaps a visit to the aquarium. Overall Curacao is a fun port with lots to do on this desert island.
Read 502 Curacao Reviews

We have been to Princess Cays previously and knew it was a tender port when we reserved passage. We did not get off as I did not want to bother with the tender ride as it is difficult even with my very lightweight (35 lb) scooter. The tenders ran regularly and it was fun watching them from our balcony.