Ruby Princess Cruise Review by Beach_gal: Another fabulous spring break cruise

Beach_gal
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Another fabulous spring break cruise

Sail Date: March 2013

The night before our cruise our cruise critic roll call enjoyed a great meet and greet dinner at Bimini Boatyard. It was a wonderful way to start the week! After dinner we walked down to Total Wine and Publix to load up on wine and munchies (yes I needed chips for the drunken munchies -- and I must say I'm thankful I had them after days of sipping rum by the pool!).

Embarkation -- Arrived at port at exactly 11 am and sailed through check-in. Escorted to Elite lounge where we had coffee and pastries before being called to board at exactly noon. We went straight to the MDR and had a nice salmon lunch with some of our new cruise critic roll call friends.

Stateroom -- D519 mini suite in a perfect midship location. Cabin was roomy and very quiet. I was concerned when I realized the stateroom directly across the hall slept four and sure enough, a family with two small children were staying there. Luckily, I never once heard noise coming from neither the hallway nor that More cabin. The extra room was fabulous! I don't know how we could ever go back to NOT having a mini suite. I think the larger bathroom is the BEST thing about the mini suite.

Balcony -- The uncovered balcony was fine. We never felt the people above us were staring down. I loved being right over the water and not having other balconies below us. We ate breakfast and had coffee on our balcony most mornings, had wine out there in the evenings, sailed away from our ports out there, read during sea days, and never felt eyes on us!

Crown Grill -- Definitely one of the best meals EVER. The filet mignon was beautifully cooked to perfection and the sides were impressive. I asked for a lobster tail with my filet and I was brought FOUR! Brought our favorite bottle of Silver Oak cab and had an exquisite meal.

Sabatini's -- Not impressed. Probably will skip this next cruise.

MDR -- Not bad, not awesome, but we always left satisfied. We brought a bottle of our own wine in every evening and I don't believe we were ever charged corkage. Servers were great -- didn't want to say goodbye on the last night.

Ultimate balcony dining -- Had a wonderful dinner on our balcony under the stars after leaving St. Thomas. It was not too windy at all and we had a great conversation with our server. We will definitely do this again. It was a romantic dinner and I never once saw anyone on the balconies above us outside.

Ports -- Nassau was substituted for Grand Turk and although I was initially bummed it turned out to be our best day in port. We walked over to Junkanoo Beach and drank lots of rum & coke, ate scrumptious jerk chicken and made some new Bahamian friends. My husband ended up taking off his fire department shirt and giving it to one of the guys and had to go buy a new shirt. I came home with a TON of Bahamian junk from the straw market -- I couldn't believe I bought it all -- must have been the rum!

Misc -- We love the art auctions and bought two beautiful pieces for our home. We spent most of our pool time at the aft pool as it was Easter week and there were a gazillion kids on board. It was quiet and peaceful back there. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs and met lots of great folks back there. Enjoyed pre-dinner cocktails at Vines a few nights and enjoyed the music in the piazza.

Disembarkation -- AWFUL! We met in the MDR for our 9:15 disembarkation and sat there for an hour. Then when we were led off, we waited about 30 minutes as they only had two agents working. Ugh! Very frustrating! I woke up with a bad case of vertigo and was dizzy and nauseous and just plain miserable. Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Ruby Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin Deck D519

D519 was in a great location. We heard NO NOISE whatsoever in the halls or in the surrounding cabins at night or early morning with the exception of one day. The morning we arrived at Princess Cays we heard a horrible loud engine sound directly outside our balcony. We discovered they were using one of the tenders that was located directly below our balcony. The noise lasted about 5 minutes. Our suitcases fit under our bed, the bathroom and shower were large, the closet was large, the bathroom had lots of space to store my toiletries, and the sitting area was large and comfortable.

We've been to the Bahamas a ton of times so we weren't too thrilled about stopping here (we were supposed to go to Grand Turk so this change to our itinerary was not very welcome). However....we had an absolute blast - probably our best day in port much to our surprise! We decided to stroll over to Junkanoo Beach and finish off all the rum we brought with us. We bought a bunch of Coke and made rum and cokes while we played in the ocean (which was deep blue and beautiful!). All the beach bars were cooking jerk chicken and the aroma was so enticing we decided to have lunch out there. The chicken was delish (from Junkanoo Beach bar and grill) and while I took a nap in the sun, by husband hung out with the guys running the bar. He ended up taking off his shirt and giving it to one of the guys, and as we both were lounging around in the sun all day, we both got burned. As we strolled back to the ship, we had to go buy my husband a new shirt and I ended up buying a TON of junk souvenirs from the straw market. Thanks rum.
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews

Princess Cays is a beautiful beach with gorgeous water. We've never had problems finding a lounge in the shade. I recommend reserving your water floats in advance as they sell out the day of. We always stroll off property in the back to see what the local vendors have. This past trip we picked up an old license plate for our beach room at home. We never eat in the bbq area as we like to eat a big breakfast and then munch on pizza after our day on the beach. My only complaint about PC is the crowds. I like lounging around and reading a good book and at PC there are always people walking around you and I find it distracting. I also hate going into the water when there are 300 other people in the water in such close proximity.

We spent the day by renting a quad and driving around the entire island! It was absolutely FABULOUS! We rented our quad from NASA. We started by going to Maho beach, with several stops made for some great photos overlooking beaches and a bay. How lucky we were because within 10 minutes of our arrival a plane landed. We hung out for an hour, had a beer and watched another plane land, then took off for our next stop: Marigot. After arriving in Marigot, we simply parked our quads on a sidewalk! No worries about finding a parking place. It was great! We made our way to Sarafina's and had a delicious lunch. My husband had a panini and I had a croissant sandwich and his panini was our of this world. It had a basil pesto sauce on it that was incredible! There was a straw market nearby, but we wanted to hit Orient Beach so we hopped on our quads and took off. Once we arrived at Orient Beach, we parked at Palm Beach and sat around their beach bar for another beer. We hung out for a while, played in the beautiful water, then decided to head back to port so we didn't miss our ship. After arriving back at NASA, the wonderful owner offered to drive us back to port but we wanted to shop so we declined. He is such a great guy - he gave us a license plate as we mentioned we were heading off to buy one. I cannot recommend NASA highly enough.