Crown Princess Cruise Review by hentzkim

Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: EE
Cabin Number: E-305
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Laid back Cruise
We were so excited to get back on Princess and feel that Princess level treatment. We have cruised 5 times together, but I have cruised 10+ times prior to meeting my husband. Our last cruise was my first Princess cruise and first experience with the Princess treatment. I was sold after our 14-day cruise to Hawaii in March 2012. I told my husband that it would take a lot for me to cruise with anyone but Princess. That was then, this is now after the cruise that we just got back from. The food and the service is lacking, but what surprised me the most is the cleanliness of the ship and the laid-back attitude of the staff. Here are some of the things that I encountered during the week.

1. The staff would run you over in the hallways and at the buffet. The cart was always outside of our stateroom (in the way). Never once was I asked if I wanted it to be moved.

2. The boat was filthy. We always noticed dirty plates and trash left on tables for hours. The wood in the main dining room had dirt stacked on it (not been cleaned in months).

3. The staff around the pools was horrible. Be ready to serve yourself....

4. Anytime dinning; the waiters for the most part are ok. I think these are the waiters in training. They know that they will probably never see you again, so they treat you as such.

5. The food was not up to par, worse I had on a cruise! The menus were terrible; no theme. The dessert menu was horrible; most nights I could not find a dessert that anyone at the table liked. Everyone ordered ice cream. That is terrible on a cruise! The buffet was in itself the worse food I have ever had on a cruise ship. They served me raw turkey from a carving station. When I complained and took the time to write a note and take it to the Customer Service desk; no Princess staff member contacted me. I assumed that it somehow got discarded.

6. The heat on the entire boat was an issue. We had our cabin thermostat turned down to the coldest and I was sweating.

7. We did not have a toilet in our cabin for 3 1/2 days of the 7 day cruise. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE. The only thing that they would tell us is WE ARE WORKING ON IT. They did give a pitiful OBC, but all people got that, even if they had a working toilet.

8. The entertainment on-board ship was the bright point. It was great!

9. Do not go on this ship expecting to be entertained. It is a laid-back atmosphere; not much to do unless you like Bingo or Trivia. There was not much, no themed buffets no dessert buffets. NO EXTRAS!

10. I never saw the captain of the ship. The people that had cruised with Princess a lot did, but they were the only ones. I guess my money is not as good!

11. We did not go to Roatan. The wind was blowing and they made an announcement a few minutes prior to the time that we were suppose to get off of the ship that the port was going to be cancelled.

12. The cabin had bunk beds to our surprise. We were not told ahead of time. The carpet was filthy and the mattress sagged in the middle.

13. Did not get robes as requested.

14. Did not get egg-crate even though requested about 1pm on embarkation day.

Since Carnival and Princess are the same company; I believe that Carnival is a better choice because it is a cheaper cruise. When you spend the extra money, you believe that you are getting a better cruise. This is not the case with this cruise. I believe our next cruises will be on Royal Caribbean or NCL. I really believe that Princess has totally lost our business for life. We love cruising and will continue to do so, just not on Princess.

Publication Date: 04/16/13