MSC Fantasia Cruise Review by pkesquire: MSC Fantasia Eastern Med March 24-31 2013

pkesquire
Member Since 2013

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on MSC Fantasia Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

MSC Fantasia Eastern Med March 24-31 2013

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

I had read some dubious reviews about this ship and MSC prior to the trip, but overall, we were very pleased. We did select this sailing largely for the itinerary, so we spent much of our time in the various ports of call while docked (though we did not book any excursions with MSC and found that we could DIY very comfortably). That is to say, we didn't spend much time during the day on board--so we can't really comment on things like the pools, sundeck, etc. I suspect they would've been more occupied with kids than we'd like, but again, we weren't on this trip to sit in the hot tub. I did use the reasonably well-equipped gym every day, and my husband made good (or poor, depending on your perspective) use of the casino at night. Our room (cabin 10089) was well-maintained and comfortable. I wish we'd had more opportunity to enjoy our balcony as it was in a nice location on the ship. I also would've enjoyed bathrobes & slippers, but they're obviously not a deal-breaker. Internet More service was not good, but I did not expect it to be. I think MSC could probably do more to improve the quality and speed of wireless internet on the ship. Despite the fun we had watching some of our favorite movies in French and German, we may not have felt that way if we had access to more English-language news and TV channels for when we were in our room.

The food in the dining room wasn't particularly impressive, but there were certainly other options, and I didn't exactly expect dinner to blow me away when the kitchen is trying to serve 2000 people (literally) at the same time! The Allegrissimo Primo package definitely made things easier in terms of ordering drinks and snacks. I would recommend it for anyone who plans to consume 3-4 alcoholic beverages and a soda or coffee per day. (The gelato was a big perk as well.) Pizza in the buffet was quite good.

The ship itself was lovely and all the staff we encountered were courteous and friendly. To be honest, so were most of the other passengers! We had a great trip and would do it again. Less

Read more MSC Fantasia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Fantasia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Fantasia Standard Balcony Sogno Deck 10089

Good location with "hump" balcony; would've been better if the two rooms on either side had not been occupied by the same family with young kids running back and forth.

Another pre-booking with Piraeus Express. We probably could've made our way on our own, but the convenience of the bus was nice and we enjoyed some excellent conversation with our fellow pax and one of the tour guides. Especially enjoyed the Acropolis, again, more time would've been great, but we knew going into this that the time would be limited.

(3)
More interesting than we had thought it would be...walked along the pedestrian path by the old town, found the Norman Castle and went in (mainly to use the WC!) to find an interesting art exhibit. We had nice weather, so it was good for a stroll.
Read 104 Bari Reviews

Again, more interesting than we had expected. We just walked around the old town, poked into some churches and saw how the locals lived. A nice long walk from/to the ship, but we enjoyed it.
Read 271 Corfu Reviews

If only we'd had a little more time...what an enchanting city! We enjoyed walking around on the walls, with great views of the city and sea. Lots of wonderful photo ops here!

Pre-booked with Katakolon Express. Weather was not great but we had just enough time to see most of the ruins in Olympia; we'd perhaps have liked to see the museum but time didn't allow.

The weather did not look great as we came into port, but after we took the tender boat over and made our way up the cable car (easy, recommend over donkeys, but we were the only ship in that day, so it may depend on the crowd), we meandered around Fira a bit to have a good strong coffee and then made our way to the bus station to head for Oia. Transit in a foreign country on the local bus is an adventure!! There was a posted schedule but I don't think anyone was following it; we paid a man who appeared to be in charge a few euro and boarded a bus that he said would be leaving for Oia in a few minutes. After the man-in-charge argued with several of the drivers over who would get to take the trip, we eventually departed and by the time we reached Oia, the sun was out and it was really quite breathtaking. We stopped for souvlaki (one of our best meals on the trip!) and then headed out for a photo-safari. Really just a gorgeous place, just like in the pictures.