MSC Fantasia Cruise Review by pkesquire

Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 8
See More About: MSC Fantasia Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: MSC Fantasia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Fantasia Deck Plans
MSC Fantasia Eastern Med March 24-31 2013
I had read some dubious reviews about this ship and MSC prior to the trip, but overall, we were very pleased. We did select this sailing largely for the itinerary, so we spent much of our time in the various ports of call while docked (though we did not book any excursions with MSC and found that we could DIY very comfortably). That is to say, we didn't spend much time during the day on board--so we can't really comment on things like the pools, sundeck, etc. I suspect they would've been more occupied with kids than we'd like, but again, we weren't on this trip to sit in the hot tub. I did use the reasonably well-equipped gym every day, and my husband made good (or poor, depending on your perspective) use of the casino at night. Our room (cabin 10089) was well-maintained and comfortable. I wish we'd had more opportunity to enjoy our balcony as it was in a nice location on the ship. I also would've enjoyed bathrobes & slippers, but they're obviously not a deal-breaker. Internet service was not good, but I did not expect it to be. I think MSC could probably do more to improve the quality and speed of wireless internet on the ship. Despite the fun we had watching some of our favorite movies in French and German, we may not have felt that way if we had access to more English-language news and TV channels for when we were in our room.

The food in the dining room wasn't particularly impressive, but there were certainly other options, and I didn't exactly expect dinner to blow me away when the kitchen is trying to serve 2000 people (literally) at the same time! The Allegrissimo Primo package definitely made things easier in terms of ordering drinks and snacks. I would recommend it for anyone who plans to consume 3-4 alcoholic beverages and a soda or coffee per day. (The gelato was a big perk as well.) Pizza in the buffet was quite good.

The ship itself was lovely and all the staff we encountered were courteous and friendly. To be honest, so were most of the other passengers! We had a great trip and would do it again.

Publication Date: 04/14/13