Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by EdR2: Celebrity millennium.. Southeast Asia Cruise

EdR2
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Asia Cruises

Celebrity millennium.. Southeast Asia Cruise

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

This was our first Celebrity cruise. We have cruised on almost every major cruise line. We have about 20 or so cruises in the last 12 years. We prefer 2 weeks or more. We selected a Southeast Asia itinerary and included a pre and a post stay. Singapore is an amazing place well worth a longer stay. Boarding was quick and easy in Singapore. The ship crew welcomed us with smiles and a warm greeting. The welcome lunch was excellent and there was plenty of seating. We rarely had a problem finding seating on the buffet deck except in the mornings when the ship landed in ports. We began to use the express breakfast in the dining room.

The ship is showing its age and unfortunately the maintenance is not up to a high standard. You can see signs of slipshod work. The ship was clean and the crew was courteous and always ready to help and serve the passengers. I assumed Celebrity was a step up from the RCL brand. It is not.. It appears to be a step More down.

My main complaint was the size of the room. We had a "Veranda suite" that was supposed to be comparable to a larger stateroom. It was likened to us as a mini-suite. It was more like a small balcony on Princess. It was concierge class which is more promise than reality. I saw nothing special about the designation. The priorities promised were non existent and the other benefits were negligible in reality. It appears to be simply a selling tool. I wish we would have known we would have opted for a larger suite.

The room should truly be a single. My wife and I tripped over one another constantly during the fourteen days on board. We couldn't get into the closet and the bathroom at the same time. Honestly a small Stateroom on most cruise lines is bigger than these veranda rooms. I might sail on Celebrity again but not in anything smaller than a full suite. Again, let me say the crew was fantastic and the itinerary was interesting but the ship is lacking.

A footnote on the itinerary. Third world cities can be very interesting but the excursions seem geared to propaganda tools in Vietnam. You can rent a private car for what you pay for an excursion and see much more interesting locales. After one excursion I gave up. I actually forfeited my tour fees. As a veteran I quickly tired of revisionist history that told how the communists freed the people from American exploitation, oppression and mistreatment. So unless you can stomach that stay away from the guided city and history tours. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium Concierge Class Vista Deck (7)

The nearby beaches were gorgeous and relatively empty. We sat at seaside cafe and enjoyed the cool breezes and watched the waves and the fishermen. It was so relaxing and quiet.
Read 17 Hanoi Reviews