Thomson Majesty Cruise Review by dun123das

Member Name: dun123das
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Thomson Majesty Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Thomson Majesty Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Thomson Majesty escape from the cold!
After a lovely week in the Arona Gran in Los Cristianos, we were transferred to the Port to join Thomsons Majesty.

We are long-time Thomson fans, having sailed on the Emerald, Celebration, Dream, the Destiny 3 times and finally, the Majesty. We had an outside plus cabin (449) on deck 4 midships which was very quiet and ideally located. The storage space was excellent, including a 3-door wardrobe, 2 x 4 chests of drawers, a cupboard next to the fridge, and shelves within the wardrobe. It is true that there is very little space around the bed when it is in a queen bed configuration in fact my husband very badly bruised his leg on our bed within the first half hour of being on the ship, so care really has to be taken when negotiating around it.

The shower was big enough to avoid the shower curtain attack, the shower itself was excellent - consistent temperature and flow. However, the grouting in the shower cubicle could certainly do with seeing some bleach as it was definitely not as clean as it has been on other ships.

Seven Seas Restaurant.

We found the main dining room very quickly as it was one deck up and we quickly established a great relationship with our waiters, Armando, Larry and Yasser our wine waiter. We usually do this, as we prefera table for 2 which we can occupy for the whole cruise. This is not because we are unsocial, but because my hubby struggles to hear what people are saying on the larger tables and feels uncomfortable not being able to join in conversations.

We were well looked after by our 'waitin on' team and enjoyed a very good variety of meals. There was only one day where I was not spoilt for choice. The consomme offered on most days was absolutely gorgeous, with very intense flavour.

Our cabin was kept clean and we had our 'towel animals' each evening. I know some people think these are tacky, but I love seeing the ingenuity shown.

We visited almost all the bars and enjoyed what they had to offer. We enjoyed most of the shows in the Royal Fireworks, but the success of these was mostly down to the passengers' personalities. Drinks service in this bar was pretty good, although we did have one waitress who was less helpful than we have come to expect. She did improve over the week, but I did feel that there was more discontent amongst the drinks waiters than we have come to expect on previous cruises... Thomson take note, there may be reasons for this but it was a little disappointing.

The duo in the Royal Observatory were also very good and we visited this bar before dinner a few times.

Our visiting Comedienne was Brenda Collins, who I found very funny.

Bingo was expensive at £5 for one ticket, which makes for boring play. If the same £5 were to pay for 3 tickets it would make the experience more enjoyable and I would have played more often.

The Destination Information given for each stop was excellent, better than many cruise lines we have been on. It included an A4 map showing the ship's position, any beaches and the main amenities of the port. It also indicates whether there are HOHO buses and gives the places where Internet access is available (usually free access), as well as giving information about the location of the nearest chemists, banks, beaches and the availability of local buses and taxis and their costs.

Usually we are totally happy with our Thomson cruises, but this time I did have some reservations:

We don't mind paying for the safe in our cabin, because I get so much peace of mind using it. I was not too happy paying for the shuttle bus, especially when certain passengers who had not paid we're using the bus, in at least one case resulting in paying passengers being made to wait for a second bus.

Breakfast service was very hit and miss and it is true that the toast, which was hard and often cold, sometimes only appeared at the end of breakfast. Obviously, if you want egg or beans on toast, this is bound to be an irritant and fruit juice was so elusive that it became a challenge to get a glass before finishing breakfast.

Overall, we had a good holiday, but I will probably not be very quick to go back onto the Majesty. However, it is still very good compared to some other cruise lines and only suffers from comparison to our previous cruises on other Thomson ships. The only Thomson ship we have not yet been on is the Spirit, which I will certainly join if the right itinerary pops up.

Publication Date: 04/11/13