Viking Sky Cruise Review by Florida Library Lady: Brrrrr Windmills and Tulips

Brrrrr Windmills and Tulips

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Amsterdam

We love big ships, but we took advantage of a discount on this trip since Viking cancelled our trip last year due to the ship not being completed. Hubby was stationed in Belgium and always wanted me to see this part of the world.

The cities are lovely and it is always an interesting reminder that life doesn't stop because it's snowing. We Floridians tend to forget that. I bought ear muffs and that helped a lot with my nice heavy jacket. All of our local guides were exceptional: knowledgeable, fun, great English skills.

We played tag with the Freya along the whole trip so I can understand how a previous reviewer was disappointed to look out every morning at our ship instead of a nice view. I think that was me waving.

Having been on the Odin last year, the room were quite different. It was large enough and the bathroom was bigger but there was only 1 drawer, so we used our open suitcases under the bed as "drawers."

We kept falling through the hole between More the two twin beds and our attendant told us there were no linens for double or larger beds, so all beds are made up with twin duvets. That was a little inconvenient.Flight accommodations went without a hitch and KLM is now our favorite line.

Entertainment was OK. We loved the singers and dancers and skipped the EU lecture since we were tired.

Food was OK and portions were "mini." Some fellow passengers though the food outstanding but we thought mediocre compared to the other choices we have had. The service staff was very friendly but so slow. We all felt they were short-handed. We didn't get coffee until the meal was over, despite asking for it earlier and several times the orders were delivered at different times and to the wrong people. The breakfast menu does get boring after several days. The buffet was often cold if you were not one of the first in line.

We understand this old ship is being retired this year? Less

Read more Viking Sky cruise reviews >>