Celebrity Century Cruise Review by deelastcre: Small Ship with a Big Heart!

deelastcre
Member Since 2008
1,145 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Hawaii Cruises

Small Ship with a Big Heart!

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

I booked this cruise almost two years prior because of my previous sailings on Celebrity(My favorite line) I was concerned about the nine sea days and the condition of the older ship. Our itinerary was changed several times after booking and my excursions were booked and canceled several times. A few weeks before sailing, I emailed and called two departments about my concerns about not being offered a Luau experience. A few days before I left home for San Diego, I got an email with the Paradise Cove Luau added to the excursions. I was able to book Old Lahaina Luau and was very happy that I didn't wait on Celebrity for an excursion. Our boarding and sail away was delayed for hours due to an inspection and labor issues with dock workers. The lunch in Island Cafe was not a good experience, due to a lot of the crew was still going through the inspection. By dinner, the service onboard was slowly getting back to normal.

Celebrity, starting on day two exceeded my More expectations for this cruise. I did my research and knew that I could expect rain, wind, and that I would not be able to sunbathe at the pool each sea day or enjoy my balcony. I did enjoy my balcony! Our weather was fairly good with a few sunny days and only a few bumpy days. Our Captain, Nicklolas slowed us down during he day and picked up speed at night. Speaking of night.....The ship was as quiet as a mouse after 10:30 p.m. The average age on the ship seemed to 70 and there were walkers, wheel chairs, and scooters galore. I am a senior, as well but I do like a little excitement after hours on vacation.

Our waiters, Rafael and Nicklolas were excellent and our room stewards, August and Larry kept our cabins clean and took care of all of our needs and wishes. I read that some of the other guests, who reviewed this sailing complained about their waiters and stewards, but we have no complaints. The head of housekeeping asked us about our cabins and I mentioned during the Captain's Club event that I noticed a leak under the sink. He took his phone out and made a call. When we returned after dinner, the problem was taken care of for us. The Captain and Sr. Officers were all just as friendly and helpful as the rest of the crew.

We did try Murano for lunch one day. The Food was good, but we received better service in the Dining Room. We were happy with the food and the Easter Buffet was awesome. The wine events(I attended two.) were informative and interesting. I attended one of lei-making classes and observed during a few of the Hula Classes. There were many classes, seminars, etc. on Hawaii and The Culture of Hawaii.
We enjoyed the entertainment in Rendevous Lounge each night prior to dinner. We attended only a few shows, because the entertainment didn't interest my group. I did enjoy the Comic the first week, the Pianist, and Dance Around The World. This is an area where I would like to see more variety. After Dinner, we spent a few hours in the Casino. We spent more time in the Casino than usual. The Casino still uses coins to pay you and are outdated. The Casino Staff said that they liked the old machines. Hopefully, they will update the machines and add a few more bathrooms for ladies in public spaces when they refit the ship.

The internet experience was expensive and slow! Despite the discount, we had to buy two packages. We don't normally use the internet on cruises, but we had a few family crisis going on this time that we needed to keep in touch with our children. If you need to use the internet, buy a package larger than you think that you will need. Our first package with about 200 minutes lasted until it was time to check in online. Luckily, the kind crew member in the Internet Cafe helped most us finish up our boarding passes without using too many minutes.

I booked four excursions and enjoyed all of them. Pearl Harbor and The Volcano National Park were our favorites. We were blessed with a greeting from the Whales outside our balcony when we arrived in Maui and the Dolphins put on a show for us on the first sea day. I enjoyed The Old Lahaina Luau better than anything else that I visited.

All in All, I enjoyed this experience and I will sail on Reflection next year. I doubt if I will sail Century, again after trying the Solstice Class Ships. We had the easiest debarkation in the 13 cruises that we have taken. Celebrity made me feel like a star, again.! Two days later, my friends all had future cruise confirmation numbers and I still don't have one. After talking to two departments, again, I was told to call back on Friday. I would like to see the seaside service improve to match the onboard experience that I love. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Concierge Class Vista Deck (9) 9120

This cabin is in a quiet location with excellent room stewards! There's a lot of closet and storage space. A few days it seemed that a crew member would pour mop water from a public deck that would end up on my deck.