“Nieuw Amsterdam dazzles”

7riverkids
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I booked this cruise at the last minute to attend an educational conference held on the cruise. The conference room was not very comfortable because of the seats and the noise from the group next door. I sailed with my 9 year-old son. He was not impressed with Club Hal and staff. He made 2 good friends on board and spent most of the cruise hanging out with his friends away from Club Hal. There was always plenty of room in the pool and hot tubs. The pool seemed heated which which made for comfortable swimming. My son broke his arm on the ship while playing soccer. The medical clinic and crew were wonderful. They checked on us several times during the cruise, making sure he was doing ok and didn't need anything. We did not dine in the main dining room for dinner and ate almost exclusively at the Lido cafeteria style restaurant. The food was outstanding. Lots of variety. You could eat steak every night if you wanted. It seemed like some of the apps and entrees were the same as what was served in the main dining room. One of my favorite spaces on the ship was the library. They have a wonderful selection of books and magazines. It has a nice coffee bar with yummy treats. I loved all the fresh flowers on the ship. Every room service order came with fresh flowers. The entertainment and stage is top-notch. We sure enjoyed all the shows we saw. The ship has a cozy movie theatre which plays a different movie daily. We have cruised Disney, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival previously. This Holland cruise hosted mostly elderly passengers, which provides the ship with a much different feel. I felt that many were not happy to see children on the cruise. I do not think I would cruise Holland with my children again.
Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

VB6052
Wonderful large balcony which faces somewhat aft and blocks most wind. Balcony chair and ottoman very comfortable. Cabin was large. Shower was large, but no tub. No couch. 2 uncomfortable dining room style chairs. Could hear elevator tones occasionally. Please see youtube video on Nieuw Amsterdam cabin 6052.

Port
We rented a golf cart a drove around the area. Not much to see and do in the immediate vicinity. Watch out for overpriced Senor Frogs...paid $10 for a coke.
Read 1,411 Costa Maya Reviews
Go later in the day when the beaches have cleared out and you will have the beach to yourself. The anchored floating mats were awesome.
Port
Snorkeling was awesome. Beach at Fantasy Island was wonderful.
Read 2,211 Roatan Reviews
Published 04/10/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Nieuw Amsterdam Review
Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?