Nautica Cruise Review by keele

Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Beijing
Destination: Asia
Cabin Category: A2
See More About: Nautica Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Nautica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nautica Deck Plans
Gluten Free diet on Oceanin
Just completed a 25 day Pea rls of the Orient Cruise with Oceania.

We booked the full package with Oceania to include flights which we were able to upgrade, hotel JW Marriott Beijing and Shangri La Bangkok at the end of the cruise. Oceania provided transfers to hotels and to airport.

Nautica is the sister ship of the Regatta a ship we have previously sailed on with Oceania however we noticed a difference in the service provided on the Nautica and this was mainly due to their ability to deal with my coeliac disease which requires a gluten free diet.

On embarkation we were informed that a menu would be delivered to our stateroom the night previous and we should complete this so that my dinner the following day could be adjusted accordingly. This indeed happened.

Where Oceania fell down was with the provision of gluten free items to include bread.

When requesting gluten free bread the offer was always an inedible brown bread so therefore I asked whether there was any availability of white bread. This request was met in the Terrace Cafe and the Head waiter ensured that this was available for me .

However the Main Dining Room did not pre-empt requirements. I always had to request gluten free bread if i wanted it, whereas my wife would be brought a basket of rolls pre dinner as expected.

There were no alternatives other than the bread offering (ie no gluten free rolls, no gluten free biscuits to eat with a cheese platter and no speciality breads even in Polo or Toscana.)

This culminated in my making a complaint towards the end of the cruise when I requested a poached egg on gluten free bread for breakfast and eventually received an egg on bread which had obviously been frozen and warmed up but not toasted. It was absolutely inedible and my wife told one of the senior waiters to tell the chef to taste it and see if he would like to eat it.

Following this on the 22nd day of the cruise we learned that I could have had gluten free pizza made on request in the Terrace Cafe, which i then availed of but was very unhappy that this had not been clarified at the beginning of the cruise.

The second complaint I had with the service on the Nautica was the inefficiency of the Sommeliers in the Main Dining Room. We had purchased the premium drinks package and thought that this was the reason that the Sommeliers took so long to serve us. But learned from other passengers that this was not just us.

It was very noticeable that there was waiters filling glasses of water constantly but the same could not be said for the Sommeliers.

Overall the cruise was very good in particular the itinery, however neither my wife or I felt that the service or indeed the food was of the same standard as our previous cruise on Regatta.

As before the entertainment on Oceania leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Publication Date: 04/09/13