Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Cruiser & Foodie: +'s & -'s

0 Post

Compare Prices on Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

+'s & -'s

Sail Date: March 2013

Having cruised before on 2 other lines, this was not the best but it was not the worst. We traveled with friends who were first time cruisers and for the most part, enjoyed ourselves. The ship was very clean and our cabin steward was excellent. I was disappointed that he was so busy there was never a single towel animal on our bed during the entire cruise. I'm sure they've cut back on the number of staff which also cuts into their time alloted for each cabin.

After boarding the ship we found our cabin but for the first time ever had to wait until early evening for our luggage to arrive at our door. We decided to check out the spa and signed up for the "first 40" for the spa package that included any time visits to the thermal/dry sauna/heated beds at a cost of only $99 for the 10 days. This proved to be an excellent choice. However, when I signed up for the seaweed massage for a fee of $210 which included the water bed instead of the regular table, in the middle when it came More time for my scalp massage, I was asked by the tech if I wanted to have the scented oil at an additional cost of $30 and could take the bottle home with me. I declined which proved to be very uncomfortable since my hair had not been shampooed yet, was dry and very difficult for the tech to even move her hands around and through. Upon completion of the massage, she then tried to hard sell me for an additional day/night skin treatment at an outrageous cost for a 1 month supply. I declined saying I needed to discuss this extra fee with my husband to which she replied, "does your husband make all your decisions?" At that point I said I was done and signed the receipt after her telling me she expected a $32 tip. WoW! As a side note, my husband doesn't make my decisions, and it wasn't about the money. It was her condescending manner of speaking to me. My husband signed up for a detox test at a cost of $50 for the both of us. We went to our appointment, got a briefing on how our bodies work, etc., then were asked if we were planning to sign up for their algae products at a cost of approximately $1200/year/each. My husband stated that he wanted to research it further to which we were told, and I quote, "if you're not going to sign up for the products, I'm not going to waste yours or my time." We went there for the test certainly not expecting to be pressured into buying products. We did not pay the $50 fee. In the past I've had my nails done and enjoyed that experience very much - in and out with no pressure or expectations to purchase more. This cruise I decided to treat myself to a spa treatment. In the future I will not be making any spa appointments for which there are hidden costs.

We signed up for the 6 p.m. dining. Our waiter was very unorganized the first night. Having had excellent service on all prior 8 cruises, my husband brought this poor level of service to the attention of the head waiter. He was told to give him another night to improve. For the balance of the cruise there was slight improvement but never at the level we have had before. Our food was always hot and the presentation was imaginative. Not the best cuisine but not the worst. The International Cafe was always great and tasty.

When it came to the evening show entertainment, I have to say I was highly offended by the dance troupe doing all the bumping and grinding gyrations and breast squeezing in a crowd including many children. The dancing and singing was great but why the show producer thought this would enhance the show is beyond me. It immediately went from a class act to only missing the pole and hooker shoes.

I booked one shore excursion outside of the cruise line and paid much less for our zip line/beach lunch combo tour. The rest of our excursions we booked through Princess. Having been on a Mediterranean cruise in 2010 I had booked 2 shore excursions outside Princess, I felt very comfortable doing this.

We will cruise again, in fact we put a deposit for a future cruise. These speed bumps won't deter us form this type of vacation. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Emerald

We always book a cabin with a balcony. Can't imagine staying in a room without even a window.

I booked with Antigua's zip line tour outside of Princess. Excellent and much less expensive!
Read 807 Antigua Reviews

Great way to end a cruise on the Princess line private island. While the weather wasn't great, it was relaxing. I would highly recommend booking a clam shell if you're not interested in spending a full day in the sun/UV rays as there is little to no shade available if the weather is hot. It would be money well spent. The lunch served was not the best. We had a fabulous lunch on a previous tour with Holland America on their private island.

Aireal Tram Rainforest tour. Excellent tour guide, beautiful scenery. We've done a similar tour in Costa Rica on Holland America but this one was better.