Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Bimmie Girl: Magic was magical

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Magic was magical

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

We sailed Carnival Magic on Dec. 9th 2012. We did the FTTF. My goal was to get on the ship and run to the Red Frog to get our pic on Face book and get a free glass of Thirsty Frog, Carnival's own brew. We entered the ship and was taken aback at the Lobby area!!! Gorgeous area. I am ewwwing and awwwing and DH reminds me of my first goal, to run to Red Frog, LOL well, we got there right after 2 guys who offered for us to be in the picture with them and gave us their free beer!!! While we were there 2 other couples came in and we introduced ourselves to learn that we have been talking to each other through CC in the months prior. We were off to a great start!! We got several pics taken in Red Frog and they were displayed on the RF screen throughout the cruise. We headed to the deli, usually our first stop and only time we eat there. DH loves the Rubens and I ask for Locs, no bread and veggies to make salmon wraps. Like saving my carbs for beer and wine, LOL. We headed to our More room which 12001, all the way forward, spa balcony. Out on the balcony you could see the whole side and front of the ship, which was an awesome balcony view. Very happy with our room. Harry was our room steward and very attentive the whole trip!!! Right across the hall from our room was the door to the gym. Very convenient. We took the spa tour and I signed up for the spin/cycle classes. These were a great workout and were run by a gorgeous man, which made working out not so bad, LOL.

First day we met everyone around 1:00 for our CC meet and mingle. Great group of people, lots of give aways, which shocked me. The girl who arranged it and her sister did an awesome job. We took extra money along to tip the wait staff, who did a wonderful job. Several people did not bring cash so I loaned them money to tip.

From the moment we got on board, everything fell into place. People we met on line, we hooked up with. Every time we turned around something else was falling into place and when I commented to the crew to explain, they just looked at me and said, "that's Magic" It truly was. They have the most amazing bartender in the steak House named Suapanie "Supy", she really knows her liquors and introduced us to some of the best, both wine for me and scotch for DH. (people don't know this but you can go to the steak house bar for drinks and they have the good liquor and wine there. you can also buy the whole bottle of wine, once you taste it and like it, to have sent to your table at dinner) Melissa "Millie" had the best wine tasting party we have ever been to. The steak house staff was THE BEST EVER!!!! we did eat at the steak house one evening and was introduced to another new wine, which we got home I purchased for the same price as we paid for the bottle on the ship $78!!! I don't know how Carnival was able to give us such a great deal but we were very happy with the meal, wine and staff.

The MDR got us a table for 2 (thanks for John Heald) but when we mentioned another couple joining us for dinner on night. our table was set up for 4 without us even mentioning it again::::: They were Magical!!! Lerlak, our waitress, even arranged to have Magic Mike come to our table for a card trick that night. DH ordered Chateaubriand one night, medium rare, and Lerlak showed it to him and said, this is not acceptable, and she took it right back and brought out the perfectly cooked one. Without us even asking!!!! Ramilo was perfect, with serving and attending to our every needs, and Charlie was all smiles taking our drink orders every night. AMAZING crew. This was the best ship and the best cruise ever. (sailed 4 times with Carnival and 2 with RC, never had a bad cruise yet, but this was the best).

We did the Behind the Fun the last day and Guada and Annessa were perfect and had lots of energy. I can go on and on about the crew. Our room steward Harry filled our cooler without us asking. He provided us with a dry robe each day as we used the spa often and those robes are thick and absorbent, but hard to dry out. Harry was all smiles and addressed us by our names, making us feel welcomed and appreciated.

We had taken Vegan Cheese to James (CD) because we had read on JH blog that he James was a vegan and new to Galveston and craved cheese. We even bought it at a Kroger store on the Sea Wall so we could tell him where to go to get more. I did not know how to find James to give him the Vegan cheese so i asked one of the first people I ran into, outside the theater on the first day. She informed us that James was on Holiday, but she was James Vegan Buddy and the only other crew member on board who was a vegan (we are not vegans, by the way). I gave Abigail Freeman, one of the stars of the theater, the cheese and the note we had for James on how to find the cheese again. Running into Abigail out of over 1000 crew members, only to find the only other Vegan on board was Magic!!! LOL That was our who cruise, one magical moment after another. Had to share. thanks Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Spa 12001

12001 Spa balcony: room seemed a little smaller than other balconies rooms we had been in on the Conquest class ships. All the same things in the room but maybe a foot smaller from the bed toward the wall or something. Loved the way the room is decorated and the colors. The hallway is nicer and the door to the rooms were wood looking. Our balcony was the usual size but you could see all the way forward as there was no partion blocking a the view. This we really enjoyed!!! Right across the hall was a door that lead to the fitness center and made easy and fast access to all things spa. Very nice room.

Bicycle Tour

(5)
We were met at the pier with a gentleman that walked us to where we picked up our bikes. He asked that someone be a spotter and reamin in the back of the tour so he could look for that person and know that he had everyone accounted for in the group. I volunteered. He took us by all the historic parts of Key West. DH and I had been to KW twice before and very much enjoyed this trip as we felt we got to see everything. After the tour we had several places we wanted to go to like: The Conch Shack for fritters, they are the best!!! read about it on CC and they were right. Kermits for chocolate dipped key lime pie, also suggested from reading CC. Schooner's Wharf for local beer and to listen to music, read on CC that this is the place to people watch and see what KW locals are all about. Love reading reviews on CC really pays off and made our trip to KW the best yet.