Seabourn Sojourn Cruise Review by campval: Over Rated?

campval
Member Since 2011

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Seabourn Sojourn South America & Antarctica Cruises

Over Rated?

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Buenos Aires

I recently travelled with Seabourn Sojourn and my expectations were very high as I had heard only good things about this cruise line. The cruise went from Buenos Aires to Manaus.
Seabourn prides itself on service and this was excellent.
I found the dining options on the ship very restrictive and it was difficult to find healthy food choices outside of mealtimes. The dining room did not open for breakfast before 8am on sea days and if you wanted to find something healthy to eat you could either order room service or wait till the dining room opened. The food choices in the coffee centre were the same every day, there was a variety of items but the choice was exactly the same every day. I was assured that the the muffins were baked fresh daily. The bread that was served in the restaurants lacked variety and was mostly white or maybe whole wheat, and the bagels were only white. There was a small assortment of some other types of bread but unremarkable in taste or More appearance. There were daily choices for breakfast but nothing special, one day a chef prepared eggs to order, otherwise if was the buffet or you could order from the menu. Food at the bar pool also offered several items but they tended to be all the same, the same type of salad, the same appetizers etc. I did enjoy tapas in the Observation bar at 6pm. Dinners in the dining room were good with several choices and Restaurant 2 was very good, serving a variety of food in smaller portions.

The tours were generally overpriced and some a complete waste of time and money. One tour we went on was so bad that we were glad when it was over and we could get back on the ship to do something more interesting. The guide had no idea where to take us other than a short route, so he repeated it. We let the ship know, but no refund was offered.

I enjoyed the fitness and would like to thank Rick for his wonderful classes which were a highlight of the trip.
The dancers on the ship were excellent and I could have watched them every night! Guest speakers were also very good and informative.

I was disappointed in Seabourn and maybe because they claim to be so wonderful. I found the dining options very restrictive and their reliance on service vs providing healthy food choices a concern. eg fruit not available @ coffee center but you could order fruit from room service. Less

Read more Seabourn Sojourn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Seabourn Sojourn Review >>

Cabin review: Seabourn Sojourn 511

We decided not to take the tour and took the shuttle into Montevideo and had a great time just checking out the highlights in the downtown area. The locals were friendly and coming back on the shuttle bus our guide was very informative about the history , politics and answered any and all of our questions.

What a fabulous port!! I had organized a private tour and this turned out to be a great choice. We had 2 days in Rio and it was nice to have the time, there is so much to see and do there. Our private tour was with Neyla and she was excellent, we got to see what we were interested in.