Celebrity Century Cruise Review by crusr4life: Worse cruise I have ever taken

crusr4life
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Hawaii Cruises

Worse cruise I have ever taken

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

My dad has taken Celebrity before and raved about it, plus we are planning to do the Panama Canal cruise in 2015 and then the Mediterranean in 2018. So we decided to try out Celebrity for possible future bookings. I booked my cruise last May of 2012 for a 15 day Hawaiian trip and it was the worst experience I have ever had with a cruise line. I picked Celebrity because of the great itinerary and the impeccable service but I did not see either of it. I have sailed on 3 other cruises and it was great.

To start Celebrity changed the itinerary twice before we left. The last time they did not inform anyone and I was appalled at how they ran their business then. Thank God I noticed it when I checked the website because I already made plans. I wanted to cancel the whole cruise but since it was within a month from leaving we would have had a big penalty to pay. So I sent an email to Celebrity from the website and it would not go through (how convenient) so I emailed the Captain's Club More and received no response. Then, I called Celebrity and the specialist would not talk to me because I booked through a travel agent, so my travel agent called 3 times and nothing was resolved. The problem with the change was that how it was done and Celebrity took 6 hours from being on the islands so it was pretty disappointing.

So we went on the cruise and it was the worst experience I have ever had. Our steward was ok but many other things not. We traveled with 2 other parties(my father and his girlfriend, and my friend and her family) and they were treated worse with their steward services. They hardly saw theirs and their rooms were not turned down like ours was and was just treated with no hospitality. For example, when my father filled out the survey card they left it in their stateroom the night before and the next day the steward approached them and asked them to change the rating and comment on their card. First, that was not his property and right to read the comment card. Those are confidential. Second it makes you wonder what else did he snooped through. Last, that is not how you treat customers.We also ordered room service twice and never got it. Once over the TV we ordered and after 2 hours we called and had to reorder. So we did and an hour later received our food. After that we called it in and 2 more times never received our order. Then I ordered extra pillows and it took 4 hours to receive them. Also there was only one plug for the whole room. Then my boyfriend packed a little travel fan to drown out noise when we sleep and they confiscated it stating "it generates heat". We argued with them because we checked on the "what not to bring list" and it did not say small fans so after 2 days they delivered it back.

I was worried about being in open water that we might get sea sickness but it only got rough when we were coming back from Hawaii. For a small ship it was fine.

On the third day of the cruise my father slipped and fell in your pool and hit his head leaving a 1 ½ inch lesion that had to be glued in the ER. Due to this he could not get it wet so we could not snorkel or go in the pool because we did not want to leave him out. Mind you other people slipped and fell in the same area and nothing was done they just put up signs that it was slippery but never fixed the problem. Plus the heater for the pool went out around day 5 so not many people used the pool due to how cold it was.

Another 2 areas that were disappointing were the shows and activities.
First the shows were disappointing as well, because the women singers were off key. This made listening and watching the shows very difficult. Plus they were not worth watching. The comic was great and the last show was ok. The dancers were great it was just the signing that needs to be turned up. Next is the activities, in which were hardly any. On the boat's map it stated it had a golf simulator and come to find out there was none. My son was devastated. Also the Bingo was way too overpriced with little pay outs. All there was to do was trivia, Bingo on certain days, and some Hawaiian activities. For a 15 day cruise there should be more activities for younger people and not just to focus on the elderly. Yes, this cruise was mainly elderly but wouldn't want to focus on the younger generation as well?

The only few good things was the kids club in which treated my 7 year old great, and the activities person named Bobby. He was the only one that made us feel special on our cruise. Rich the cruise director was funny along wiht Alex and Taylor but everyone else treated us like dollar signs. I talked to many other passengers and we all agreed that we would take another cruise line after this because of such poor service and inconsistencies.

During our dinners our waiters did not give us the service that we deserved. They were more worried about the other table than ours. Many times we received extra food plates because they were so unorganized or had to ask about what we ordered because we didn't receive it. At one time my son asked for fruit punch and they told us they were out but yet the table next to us got fruit punch for their kids (they had different waiters). It was very disappointing to see that other waiters took care of their people but I guess we were not that important. Also when we would receive our salads that we ordered it would take the waiters 10 to 15 minutes just to offer us dressing, plus the food was not as good as it should have been. When we would tell them how we liked our steaks they never got it right and always over cooked it.

Overall, I was very disappointed in this boat and in Celebrity. Yes we did have a few good moments. We did celebrate Easter on the boat and they made it wonderful for my 7 year old. They had an Easter egg hunt, pictures with the Easter bunny, egg decoration, cookie decoration, face painting and other arts and crafts. Also I celebrated my birthday along with my 7 year old's birthday on the boat as well and they did sing Happy Birthday to us at dinner. My father paid for me to get a massage and the spa services were great. But the bad moments outweighed the good. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Oceanview Stateroom Vista Deck (9) 4079

In our cabin, the floor seemed to be wet by the walls and smelled like mildew making me feel ill in the middle of the night a few times. At first I thought it was our towels from the bathroom but then I kept feeling that our floor by the wall was very cold. Come to find out it was the wet floor and I think it was from the shower because I noticed new caulk in it after a few days. I didn't complain about it because I thought it was the towels at first, but then I saw a guy with caulk in his hand and the fumes from the product were overwhelming. After they caulked the shower the floor was no longer wet but the smell did not go away. Also our shower had mold all in it and so did the shower curtain but the curtain was changed in the duration of the cruise.

Last is Ensenada which we arrived at 7pm but since so late, again stores were closed and nothing to do or see. Their is a bus that goes to downtown for $2.00 there and $1.00 back to the port. So we tookt he bus to downtown and we ate and had drinks till about 9pm then went back to the ship.
Read 246 Ensenada Reviews

(2)
With the ports we were also disappointed at how unorganized and inconsistent they were. We were late getting into Hilo and I had to cancel my helicopter flight. Mind you this was the only "big family thing" we had planned. By this time I was in tears and wondering what type of disaster is going to happen next. So for Hilo we only had 5 hours plus by the time we arrived everything was closing or closed. Many other passengers were upset because they took excursions that went to places that were closed. Let's just say that by this time many people were upset about the whole cruise. When we got off the boat we took a tour that went to the Volcano's National Park and Rainbow Falls. We walked through the lava tube and went to the Volcano Museum. It was great because we were just happy to be off the ship.
Read 271 Hilo Reviews

Last, we had tickets to Pearl Harbor and rented a car in Oahu. First Celebrity changed the times in Oahu twice already and I had to cancel my luau because of this. Mind you I have been to Paradise Cove Luau twice and wanted to take my family there but since they changed the times to 8am to 8pm I had to cancel. Well that day they changed it again and it was from 8am to 10pm. I was so upset because now I could have gone, but we already booked and did one in Maui. So we ran to Pearl Harbor and after went to Waikiki and had lunch. It rained most of the day and it was chilly so we drive to the North Sore and stopped at the Dole Pinnaple Platation. It was very informative and was fun. The North Shore was pretty and sunnier.
Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

(3)
Then we had to be tendered in Kona which was also a disaster because there was no announcement on were to pick up tender tickets. Thank God I got up early and went to the guest relations and asked because no one knew. That morning we got tender #4 and we still got off 1 ½ hours later. We took a taxi to Wikalowa Village and was there for the day.
Read 166 Kona Reviews

(4)
Maui was ok and rented cars for the day. We went to the beach and sat out there and wathced people swim then went to our luau. I booked the luau at the Royal Lahaina Luau and it was average. They had an open bar with a buffet style dinner and it was good. The show showed the diferent island cultures and the fire dancing was great.
Read 264 Maui Reviews