Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by Babsyaz: Nice time on the Brillance

Nice time on the Brillance

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This is our 10th cruise, most of them on RCCL and we have always enjoyed our trips. This was no exception, although it is probably past time for the Brilliance to see dry dock (which is where she is going shortly).
We had a JS on deck 10 and that will be the last time we book any cabin below (or above) the windjammer (or any other venue) I know better, but it was the last aft cabin available, so we did not have any options... that said, what the heck was going on up there all morning and afternoon - drag, drag, drag, where are you taking them???
Our room attendant was great, everything we requested was there and refreshed as needed. Bed & pillows were comfortable & the room clean, but worn. I was fighting a cold and thank goodness I had brought kleenex with me, because the tissues (and TP) in the room was like sandpaper! Ouch, they have really cheaped out there. Our lovely large aft balcony was awesome, but the flooring was coming up and you couldn't walk out there More without footwear, it was weird like rubbery crumbs.. don't see why that wasn't fixed a long time ago.
We ate in the MDR late seating - the food and service was good although I thought it odd that we did not once have the maitre d stop at our table - guess with automatic gratuities they don't need to anymore? Also did not see any bar personnel in the dining room, guess the waiters do everything now. Maria did a nice job and we enjoyed our table mates.
We also dined at Portofino twice and Chops once - both delicious and GREAT, GREAT service in both restaurants - I highly recommend both!
Because we were in port everyday we did not have a sea day until the last day. Which for us was probably good since there were 500+ children on this cruise.
Speaking of children - for whomever let their diaper clad child into the pool and then exited the pool without said diaper, thanks for causing them to close the pool (on the sea day), making them drain it, scrub it down and refill it - that was awesome on your part. Kudos to RCCL for their quick action to react to someones total disregard for the pool rules.
Overall the crew good, although once I heard RCCL makes them buy their own pens and uniforms, I am amazed that they are as good natured as they are..
The weather was great and the seas calm - couldn't have asked for anything better.

Final thoughts:
Cruisers - some common courtesy goes a long way - doors & drawers SLAMMING at all hours?
Why doesn't the bar have the wine they offer in the menu?
Why, if you buy a wine package, is the selection different in the MDR vs Portofino or Chops? I say get your wine in the specialty dining rooms, it is a MUCH better offering.
Our toilet did stop operating twice at random times - but no serious issue as it returned to operational fairly quickly (visions of Carnival??)
We will cruise again, not on a 7 day and not during spring break.
We love this class of ship and are anxious to see the Brilliance when she comes out of dry dock. Less

Read more Brilliance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Brilliance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Brilliance of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 10 1602

We had been in SXM last year so we had some specific things we wanted to do, so we hopped in a cab and

We took a day sail with Aristocat. It was awesome and they meet you right at the end of the pier - no taxis, no hassle, just a great day at sea. See trip advisor for more info
Read 501 Tortola Reviews