Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by cdscooby1

Cabin Category: D2
        10-12 4.0
        13-15 1.0

Second time on the Oasis
Just back from the march 23, 2013 spring break Oasis trip. We got in Friday and stayed at the Hyatt Place on 17th Street ( a great place to stay). We received an email from Royal Caribbean telling us not to arrive at the cruise port until 1:00 PM due to the Government cutbacks and less customs agents. We disregarded and went early anyway. They let us start boarding around 11:30 AM. Went to guest services right away to inquire about ship Iphones for rent and also to discuss my sons peanut allergy. Unfortunately I got Millicent as my guest services rep. Millicent has no idea how serious a peanut allergy is and I am to this day still waiting to hear back from her about whom to speak with and what to do for my son on this boat. Actually I gave up on Millicent about 6:00 PM that night. First off for the boat phones skip guest services and go up to deck 14 the card room to rent them ASAP. They run out quickly. Also the i-phones constantly go off network so you have to reset them. A bit of a pain but the only way to communicate on the ship. Rooms were ready at 1:00 PM. We stayed in cabins 8562 & 8564 connecting balcony cabins. Yerri was our attendant and he was amazing. Wish I could have taken him home. The dining room food last year on the Oasis was disgusting. I can happily say that they really have changed the menu and the food is much better. The only complaint I had was they got rid of the onion tart, always a favorite but they stopped serving it. We went one night to Giovanni's table. Have to say not impressed. The menu was limited and we really expected more. I had a better meal italian night in the main dining room. Shocking but true. The shows were fantastic and we had a fun time in the Comedy Club. The casino was a bit boring. I did not see many big winners, and overheard quite a few people complaining that the tables and slots were not paying out. Sorrentos pizza was great as always and my kids and husband have been having midnight cravings for it. The pools were crowded but they were very good about not letting people save chairs for hours and not use them.

Back to my son's peanut allergy. By the time 5:00 PM (dinner was 8:30) my poor son wanted something sweet. Unfortunately I could get no answers from anyone about whether things contained nuts or cooked in peanut oil. I finally met Alain in guest relations. Alain told me if Millicent (the first one) was getting answers for me she would and be patient. I kind of lost it a bit with Alain since I had a hungry child and he told me at dinner the head chef would speak to me. Also Alin said the cupcake cupboard would make special nut free cupcakes for my son. Thank you Alain finally an answer. The cupcake cupboard was very nice. Took an order for cupcakes to made for my son and ready the next day. The woman in the shop was very nice and was surprised at the lack of information we were getting about peanut free food. A cruiser on the Allure (sister ship to Oasis) died from a peanut allergy a few months before and she said they take it very seriously. Obviously Millicent didn't get the memo. At dinner that night I asked to speak to the head chef as I was told. Our waiter (Ergdon) told us he would speak to the chef for us. I was annoyed. The head waiter then came over and introduced himself apologizing for the confusion. He explained that every food place we go we must speak to the chef directly about what my son can eat and only get food from the chef so there is no cross contamination. The main dining room chef was to busy so it was his job to speak on his behalf and the chef would cook all my sons food separately. Which was true, both my sons ordered chicken nuggets and they looked like 2 different meals. Both were good but you could tell the peanut allergy was fresher. The next morning the head waiter called our room and told us that the chef in the Promenade cafe (Audriana) was making a special batch of peanut free brownies for my son. Whenever he wanted them we had to see her and she would give them to him. Also while in the Bahamas he brought on Peanut/ gluten/lactose free packaged chocolate chip cookie for my son, so he could have them anytime he wanted. Thank you so much for understanding. One night at dinner they made my son a special brownie/ice cream sundae that was just the happiest night for my son. Ergdon and Vasheel our waiters were wonderful to us as well and I would recommend sitting at table 989 on the island to anyone.

Kids club?Teen Club. First off in my opinion 12-14 year olds need to be supervised and do not belong in the teens club. They need some sort of activities to keep them out of trouble, and to socialize with other children their own age. Most kids are by themselves and go there to meet other kids. My twin sons are 12. To old for Adventure Ocean, which they have loved for years) finally the age for the Teen club. I go as guest services instructed me up to the teen club to sign them in and give the dreaded epi-pen to the staff. The staff was Gloria. Gloria tells me she does not take responsibility for the children or medication. Also the food she gets is for everyone and she has no idea if peanuts are in the food or not. The kids do what they want and she is the only one there and can not watch them. Also if my son drops the epi-pen and someone uses it I am liable. Are you kidding me. She is not helpful and my kids are upset they have been looking forward to this club. Down to Adventure Ocean I go. I explain the situation to them and they agree to take my children and the epi-pen no problem. They were quite surprised that Gloria would not take responsibility for them or the epi-pen. The funny thing is during the cruise many 12 year olds went to Adventure Ocean since they found the teens club boring since they did nothing there but hang out with no activities.

Our ports were Bahamas, St Thomas and St Martin. We chose the Atlantis beach tour. Very disorganized. Have to say don't waste your money it was horrible. I had never been to the Atlantis and was looking forward to checking it out for a future vacation. Well after that tour I will not go back. First they heard thousands of people like cattle through the hotel and casino. Then they split you up into groups. We were sent to a horrible beach. Nothing like the pictures. It was at the end by the breaking rocks and the beach was on a hill with about 10 feet of sand. The water was very rough and my husband was flipped in the air and that was it for us. People are walking on the beach selling you stuff and trying to get you to ride jet ski's. We decided to explore the resort so it was not a complete bust. The fish exhibits and the dig were nice. Not worth the price of admission. For the price they charge this excursion is not worth it. Next up was St John. We chose the ferry walking tour with Royal Caribbean. After reading reviews about the regular $7.00 ferry and the possibility of missing the boat we felt pay more money to be safe. Again felt ripped off. The ferry was late picking us up. We waited in the hot sun for an hour and a half. Finally got on Captain Jacks ferry. The ride over was very nice and he gave us a well guided tour. When we reached St. John we were split into groups again and we went with our guide for the walking tour. After walking for 2 blocks (about 5 minutes) we were showed the public bathrooms and told to go explore. When we asked where Mongoose junction was we were told to take a taxi it was on the other side about a 15 minute taxi ride away. We chose to go to a lovely restaurant nearby and use the beach. We had a great time at the beach and decide to go explore after about 2 hours. Walking around for about 1/2 hour trying to find ice cream we got hot and decided to go back to ferry landing to try and get an earlier ferry back to St Thomas. When we arrived our tour guide was there and we asked him where we could get ice cream. His reply was right down the road about a block is mongoose junction they have ice cream there. We were angry because this is the same place he told us we had to take a taxi to in the beginning and it's a block away from the ferry. Give me a break. The ferry finally arrived and we went back to St Thomas. They served some rum drink and sold t-shirts. They also asked us to remember to tip them for a great time. Are you kidding me!!! Take the ferry on your own to St. John watch the time and remember Mongoose Junction is a block down on your left, no taxi needed. Next was St Marten. After reading many reviews we booked privately Bernards Tours. He charged us $175.00 for 5 people 3 adults and 2 children. He picked us up at the information center at 8:00AM. Our driver was sugar, and we were on a bus with about 20 other people. Bernards tours was the best tour of the entire cruise and funny enough the cheapest. Sugar took us to an iguana farm. He took us to LaPlaya on Orient Beach where we stayed and had beach chairs and umbrellas and 2 drinks per person included. We went to maho beach to see the planes. Absolutely amazing experience a must see. Sugar showed us the dutch and french side of the Island. Sugar also took us shopping at a discount souvenir place. I bought myself a cute bracelet for $7.00 and on the boat the same bracelet was going for $70.00 I could not believe it. Sugar brought us back to port at 4:00 PM for a departure of 5:00 PM ( We had some Carnival people that were leaving at 4:30). I highly recommend Bernards tours you will not be sorry.

On another note Amy Flickert was the worst cruise director ever. She was barely seen and when you did see her she was boring. She added no excitement in any way. Maybe it was because she was done after our week, I'm not sure I can only say she was terrible and I have no idea why she is still employed as a cruise director. Even the Quest which is always a fun night she made so boring. She seemed annoyed at the people and stopped the Quest so people could figure out what they were supposed to do. Really please. It was also the least amount of people I have ever seen at a Quest, maybe because she didn't promote it or maybe because people knew she was going to do it and skipped it. I wanted to give her a chance after the bad reviews but seriously I have not found one good review on her and unfortunately understand why.

All and all a wonderful trip on the Oasis. The ports need to be expanded but the boat is truly the destination. This was my second time in 2 years and so glad we chose this boat again. It's not to big there's just so much to do. Go on the Oasis and enjoy her splendour. Oh and make sure to go to the Park Cafe for a Roast Beef sandwich, yes they are that good.

Publication Date: 04/06/13