Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by gerii: Spring Break on the Explorer

Spring Break on the Explorer

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

We decided to sail out of Cape Liberty this year to allow my daughter's fiance and his daughter to come along. Sailing on Spring Break isn't an ideal time to go but my daughter works in a school so while this isn't new for us we found that there was a lack of parental supervision on this sailing. The cold rainy weather may have contributed to this problem. Saving money on Airfare didn't turn out to be the benefit we hoped for this year.

The Explorer needs some refurbishing. The wear and tear was obvious. We did hear that that will be happening and that Port Liberty will be getting an upgrade.

Having sailed on RCI lines (16 sailing in all), RCL, Celebrity and Azamara, in the past we have become accustomed to a higher level of service and this year found it to be lacking. Cost cutting measures were very apparent from quality of the food, staff size, service and entertainment. While our personal waiter and cabin steward were great my daughter had a triple on the 2nd More deck (I won't even get into that experience) had an unusual issue, a deaf mute cabin steward. I think it's great that RCI would hired a deaf cabin steward but then they didn't provide the cabins a way to communicate with him effectively. Actually No pens or paper were found in any of our 3 rooms.

We also had some issues with the on-board credit each room was to get. Guest Relations didn't have the credits correctly and the travel agent insisted it was done.

Internet access was the worst I've experienced in a long time. 15 minutes to load a page isn't good and then you get charged for something you didn't get. Its off again to Guest Relations for a credit.

I almost forgot the elevators!!! They were very slow, always full and would stop on almost every floor. The kids on board thought it was fun to press every button as they exited and it made things worse. With the amount of elevators on board you would think this won't be an issue. Luckily we take the stairs but if my elderly parents had been with us it would have been a problem.

Overall, our experiences have been better and as usual we made sure all the issues were on our surveys at the end of the cruise. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 6 9608

Junior Suite 9608 has a good amount of room as was Cabin 9610 right next door. The cabin steward was excellent. Storage was optimal compared to some cabins we have been in. They both could stand for my refurbishing. This cruise both of these rooms had some issues with plumbing which was fixed right away. Cabin 2546 was not as good. While the size wasn't bad, the cabin steward couldn't communicate (deaf) and when we set sail the window was blocked for safety reason (we were heading into a storm). You had to go up to go down in order to reach certain areas of the ship. On sailing day that had to reach their room through a crew area. While people may find it economical to be on that floor, its poorly situated for easy access to other areas of the ship.

Never left the ship. Had a quiet day relaxing without the crazy cooped up families on board.
Read 229 CocoCay Reviews

just walked around but my daughter had a problem after using her credit card that day to buy liquor for friends. We are working now with the Fraud division at our bank to resolve it.
Read 2627 Nassau Reviews

Kennedy Space Center

(4)
The only problem with this excursion was that we were to arrive in Port at 1pm and we're late getting clearance to get off the ship. In order to make sure we made the buses back to port from the Space Center, we were rushed in our visit.