Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by lhlm75

Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Jewel
Member Name: lhlm75
Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: B2
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        13-15 4.0
Shore Excursions 5+

Bahamian Trip with family
My family and I were on the NCL Jewel round trip sailing from NYC to Bahamas. This was our second cruise with the line and on the Jewel, and like many other passengers we were excited to be there. Embarkation was smooth as expected, our balcony cabin was ready, clean and on time, but we did have some problems.

We were missing beach towels in our cabin, there were 4 of us in the cabin and 1 beach towel. I spoke to my steward about this and nothing was done. I called housekeeping still nothing was done, it was not until 4 sailing day when arriving to Grand Stirrup Cay [GSC] and a change of steward that I was to receive my towel (2 were given, total of 3). I pre-ordered wine for the first day of the cruise. Wine bottle was there but 0 wine glasses...once again I asked the steward and once again I was ignored.. I got glasses from the main dining room. I also pre-ordered chocolate covered strawberries for my kids for the first day... and that arrived late.

On the first night my family and I went to Azura's for dinner. Service was horrendous. It took the server 15 minutes to take our order, 20 minutes to get our appetizers, 35 minutes for the main course, I'm not kidding! another 20 minutes for dessert...let's just say I was kind of mad, but I did not want to ruin my vacation complaining. Oh my kid asked for a soft drink that he did not get...and the server was annoyed when I asked 2 time around for his drink. We ended up eating at Tsar's for the remainder of the trip.

I did notice that most of the crew were tired and inattentive, except when wanting for me to buy drinks... 4 times I had a server jump in front of me aggresivly wanting me to order a drink. it became a joke with my family.

The public restrooms that I visited were dirty, which surprised me, because when I sailed back on NOV 2011 one of things that impressed me were how well kept the restrooms were.

At GSC, the food was unappetizing and cold. The beach was dirty with old used drinking straws and cigarettes butts in the sand, beach service was non existent. For example, I tried to get attention of a server for drinks (go figure)I was ignored, my DH had to go to the bar and get some.

The Cruise Director Jaime, she was ok... it felt like she was trying to hard to entertain guests. Assistant CD Joel, rude, condescending and not funny. I only saw 2 shows, the comedy of David Naster outstanding..JP the magician same old routine and boring.

Overall, the cruise was ok, but I missed the little things such as having my steward knowing my name and having him and her giving me some attention. When my DH approached me in getting cruise rewards, I was apprehensive in going to another sailing with this line, but I believe in second chances and I'm giving them another chance in impressing me again.

Publication Date: 04/06/13