Grand Princess Cruise Review by DrJohn: 49 days around Cape Horn

Compare Prices on Grand Princess South America & Antarctica Cruises

49 days around Cape Horn

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica

Let me be straightforward about this review, although I usually do reviews I did not want to write this one - so I didn't write it until I read the review by Profcruiser. I am a Princess loyalist, next week we sail on our 65th Princess cruise, and we have sailed on the Grand Princess for 19 voyages. Yes, we have loved sailing on the Grand Princess and have really enjoyed our cruises and especially the staff we have met on her. But - as one of our fellow passengers said - there was something "really off" with this cruise.

Please read the review by Profcruiser as it details many of the problems we experienced on this cruise, so I will not repeat them here.

But first, the dining room waiters were as wonderful as ever, even though the Maitre d' was not.

The cabin stewards do their best, but have too many cabins assigned. In the past we thought their smiles were genuine, but now it appears they smile because they are told they must smile.

Food on the More Grand has gone downhill; it is like the Chef had been told to cut back. We have never before experienced oysters rockefeller with no oysters, or calamari and baby octopus with no baby octopus, or no chocolate covered strawberries available. Might sound trivial but at the time those experiences really make you wonder what is going on.

It was a great itinerary and we are glad we did it. When we boarded the Grand we were totally prepared to book the Crown for 2014 to redo the 49 day SA itinerary but will not do it now.

Some say the CD isn't very important but this CD set the tone for this cruise - and it was very negative. Why would a CD have a "quirky question" on the Wake Show about "what do you want on your epitaph" when a passenger had just tragically passed away? Her lack of sensitivity and passenger disregard were alarming.

To some this might sound like we are just complaining about little things. But if you are a long time Princess Cruiser used to a wonderful Princess experience please be aware that things have really changed on the Grand - it is not what it used to be.

Happy Cruising Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck C306

good location near stairs and elevator but across from crew access door so can be noisy. balcony often had standing water. balcony door frame had what looked like a mouse hole in it, wind whistled in -- stopped noise by plugging with paper napkins. grand princess has small closets and shower stalls