Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by quercus alba: Family Spring Break cruise

Norwegian Pearl 5
quercus alba
Member Since 2011

Family Spring Break cruise

Sail Date: March 2013

The good: The Pearl. What a beautiful ship! What a great crew! Super buffet food. Awesome chef's table. Great Stirrup Cay is a nice beach day, even with passing showers. Grand Cayman is grand. NCL's Tulum excursion--very much worth the price. Teppanyaki exceeded expectations.

The so-so: The MDR. Sorry--I was not impressed with food or service here.

The OMG Awesome: NCL customer service. Very friendly officers and staff--from the Captain on down. Had a bridge tour and galley tour offered to us as well, also awesome. Chef's Table--amazingly awesome dining experience.

The misadventures: not NCL's fault, but I managed to dislocate my shoulder in Jamaica, then reaggravate it at Grand Cayman. Always wanted to meet a cruise doc, but hoped it would be over the dinner table, not an exam table. (NCL should embroider their logo on my immobilizer brace. We also, through my carelessness, lost a shoulder bag in Ocho Rios--along with my phone and most sadly, a More camera. Put a negative spin on what had been a really great excursion day.

The one major frustration: we loved Freestyle on our first cruise, as a couple. With four kids though, it can be very frustrating. It really takes some planning to get to specialty restaurants, or even the MDR at peak times. It was also really hard to coordinate things. Less

Published 04/03/13

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: MB11002

11002 & 11004--adjacent, not connected. We were right next to officers' entrance to bridge, but no excessive noise. Nice location--quick hop up to fitness, spa, pool areas. Spacious balcony, plenty of room for 3.

Mayan Ruins

Booked NCL's Tulum tour. DO NOT attempt to do this yourself! There is a ferry crossing and a long bus ride involved, and I wouldn't trust myself to get back to the ship on time! The ruins are both gorgeous and interesting--beautiful seaside setting. Lovely beach for a quick cool off--wish I'd had more time there. Lots of iguanas to watch.

Dunn's River Falls

Pushy vendors... falls are nice, even though I managed to injure myself.

Irie Blue Hole

Big highlight for the kids to jump into the deep water from the high cliffs. Guides hovered attentively and seemed to know what they were doing.

River Rafting

Nice combination of quiet floating and some mildly adventurous rafting. Good guides.

Skip X