Carnival Legend Cruise Review by sully803

Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
        7-9 5.0
        10-12 4.0

A great way to spend spring break
Embarcation in Tampa was pretty smooth. The port waiting areas are not as nice as some of the other ports we have traveled from (Canaveral or Miami for example) but they were more than sufficient. The boarding was delayed a little but once they called our zone it went very quickly.

After boarding we went to the Lido deck for the buffet lunch which we found to be better than usual. While we have historically gone to the buffet for lunches and dinner while on the ship, I found the food to be a somewhat better on the Legend. The variety wasn't quite what we've seen on some of the largest Carnival ships but there was still plenty to choose from.

Staterooms were ready at 12:30 which is earlier than I have seen on most ships and when we arrived we found the room configuration was not what we had asked. We have two kids and usually book a room with two upper bunks and have the lower beds together into a king but they were not set up that way. We quickly located our stateroom attendant (I cannot remember his name) who proceeded to explain why he could not put the beds together. We were on the Carnival Glory only a few months prior in the exact same configuration so I had a hard time understanding why it couldn't be done here. It actually required a bit of an argument for him to ultimately agree and when we returned from dinner that evening the room was set up correctly.

In all of my past cruises I have always found our stateroom attendent to provide one of the best levels of service of anyone on the ship but this trip was the lone exception. I don't know if the guy was new or not, but he regularly picked up wet towels and replaced them with one less, always leaving us short a towel. By the end of the trip we were down to only two pool towels despite four people in the room. The room was always cleaned twice a day, no complaints there, just little things that we never had to worry about before.

The main dining room was a terrific experience as we have continuously found to be the case with Carnival. The wait staff was great and the entertainment portion, which was not every night but probably every other, was fun. I cannot remember any of our server's names (I am terrible with names) but they were very good and the food was fantastic.

My family and I do not generally go to the song and dance shows but we went to one this trip and were very impressed. I did feel it went on a little too long. The comedy shows were the best we have seen on any Carnival cruise to date. All four were incredibly funny and they did a great job of including the audience in their routines to make the show fun. In the past, we have generally seen the comedians do 30 minutes one night and then again the next but the shows were basically the same. This time they had both of them in the same show, doing 15-20 minutes each, and then the same the next time around with new material. We found this to be a much better approach and hope that this will become the new way these are run.

We ate in the steakhouse on the last night and the food was amazing as was the service.

I will talk about the ports below.

The ship layout was different from any other ship I had been on and it took a little while to get used to it. I found it a little more difficult to navigate but all in all it was fine. The one thing I didn't like was that you needed to talk through the smoke smelling casino to get from one side of the ship to the other on deck 2.

All in all the trip was great and we plan to cruise on Carnival again in the near future.

Publication Date: 04/03/13