Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by lhughes2

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by lhughes2
Navigator of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Member Name: lhughes2
Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: Q
See More About: Navigator of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Wonderful Spring Break Cruise
Our cruise was from March 23-30 on the wonderful Navigator of the Seas. I traveled with just my husband. This was our third cruise together, and we couldn't have chosen a better ship.

I have read several reviews about the carpet being worn, things missing, etc. I did not see any of that. Nothing caught my eye that was out of ordinary on the ship. The televisions in the rooms are older, but the ship is due for a re-vamp in January, so I am sure this will get addressed...although it was not that huge of a deal for me and my husband.

The food was excellent on this ship. The only thing that I found a little discouraging was on the last night, I ordered the New York strip from the main dining room. It came out a little tough, but it was not anything to send back. The desserts were fabulous. Our favorite place was the Cafe Promenade. We loved the sandwiches there. Also, we liked the fact that we could get fresh fruits and coffee, hot chocolate, etc, any time of day. The choices of water were good too...watermelon water with real watermelon? Yes please!!

Sea days were very windy. I found it hard to sit by the pool and "bask" in the sunlight. Probably because MOST deck chairs were saved with towels. There are signs posted everywhere to not do this, but no one pays any attention to this rule. We did witness one pool attendant removing towels once, but an angry man stormed up to him and told him he was saving those. The attendant just threw his hands up and left. I guess at that point, what could you do??

The entertainment was pretty good. The only thing, I enjoyed the singers, but I would have liked to watch something that had somewhat of a plot. The Broadway tribute was okay, but I didn't know any of the songs. I think I was spoiled from the Liberty of the Seas because there we were able to see Saturday Night Fever the musical, which was fabulous. I know the Voyager class ships don't offer the Broadway plays, but I think they could have told a better story with the song choices. The most entertaining things were the game shows. The Love & Marriage game show was a riot, along with "The Liar's Club", which consisted of the cruise director and three of her staff. They were given words to define (adults only!) and three of them were lying while one would tell the truth. It was hysterical! Also, the Quest game show was a good time had by all! (Another Adults Only Show). I won't give that one away because you definitely need to participate in it on the next to last night. Also, the Karaoke was very entertaining, although I did not think the "judges" picked the right "Karaoke Superstar Finalist".

Jamaica: Falmouth is a quaint little town, but book an excursion through Royal Caribbean!! Do NOT book through the "tour guides" that roam outside of the gates. You will get bugged to death. If you don't enjoy telling people "No" constantly, don't venture outside the gate, because it is inevitable and you will. We made the mistake of venturing outside the gate, and we were bugged so much that we almost turned around to go back until we saw our dinner friends, and they invited us to take their "City" tour with them. We were grateful for that, because people then stopped talking to us. The people will pressure you into looking in their "tents" at their "goodies". Basically, everyone has all the same stuff. It gets annoying also to hear people yelling at you to "braid your hair". Um, no. I don't want you braiding my hair! I even had a lady rudely say "I saw you here before. Why did you put that hat on?" I replied with "Because it's hot, and I need shade" She then says "Take it off and let me braid your hair." You just have to walk away, but it's difficult when they will literally FOLLOW you for blocks. After our "city" tour, my husband and I went back to the Royal Caribbean port and did a little shopping inside. Next time, if we visit Falmouth, we WILL take an excursion through the cruise line.

Grand Cayman: We were the only ship in port that morning until later that afternoon. The others that were supposed to dock, decided to spend a day at sea. Our captain wasn't scared though, and just kept finding smoother waters. The tendering process was a little scary, but other than that we were fine. We had booked through the cruise line a glass bottom boat and island tour. The boat had been cancelled due to weather, but the island tour was great.We received a 30% refund. (With that we were able to get the shirt and hat we had been eyeing in the shops on board). It was a NICE 180 from Jamaica. No one haggling you. I felt safe walking around everywhere.

Cozumel: Always my favorite port. We rented a car and drove around the island. This is our second time doing that, and I think next time we will book an excursion...I kind of want to get in the water there!! Also, you will feel safe. No one bothering you. An occasional street vendor yelling at you, but nothing like Jamaica.

There are plenty of things to do on board for all ages. I did spend a lot of time sleeping...which was fine by me! We will definitely take another cruise with Royal Caribbean again. Probably not on the Navigator because this was her next to last cruise from NOLA. She then moves on to Europe, gets the re-vamp in January, and then she will be stationed in Galveston, Texas. That's a far drive for us, so I am very happy we cruised out of NOLA on her next to last cruise! The ship is beautiful, the cruise director is great, and the staff will do anything to serve you. Wonderful spring break cruise! :)

Publication Date: 04/04/13