Voyager Cruise Review by chrislewiscll: A Personnel Assessment of Voyager

A Personnel Assessment of Voyager

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Buenos Aires

We have travelled many times on Discovery and decided to try its new (to Voyages of Discovery) Voyager. After starting with an open mind I grew to like Voyager.

I liked:

The price. While I am not going to state the price it was reasonable to us with a late booking, cabin to be allocated. We were not put on the bottom floor.

Journey UK to ship. Could check in on line. (This is desirable for all cruise flights but does not normally happen.)Long journey but not unpleasant.

The service - from the captain down to the waiters, waitresses and cabin boys were all friendly with the right degree of respect. This is our main reason for using Voyagers of Discovery, its customer service on board in the past.

The food. Good choice and more than enough.

Open dining - chance to meet more people as always put on larger tables. We go as a couple so want to meet other people.

The cabins - larger than Discovery and more than adequate. If I can fit More in the shower most people will. The bigger safes will hold my computer which is very important to me.

Air conditioning worked well

The Internet (WiFi) - reasonable prices and fair speed and range.

Singers, bands and dancers very good.

Lectures extremely good, even on subjects I am not normally interested in.

Shore excursions - only used one (which was good). Otherwise we do our own thing and had no problems. It is good the port lecturer covers "independent travel" well.

Free buses in ports.

Disappointing:

The best general public room on the ship is given up to bridge players. This should be made the Explorer Dining Room or a bar, and bridge playing moved to the current Explorer Dining Room or part of the Lookout Lounge.

Much of the seating in the Darwin Lounge is not tiered so views of entertainment restricted.

NB I believe the above two points are being looked at by Voyages of Discovery.

A few of the passengers who seemed to want to moan, even the weather too hot!! Well we were in the tropics for much of the time!

The journey back to UK. Direct distance to London from Recife is 4,600 mile if it were a charter. Our service flights totalled 6,900 miles via Rio. 26 hours to get home. A bad ending. Less

Read more Voyager cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager 3212

3212 - good position two cabins away from reception and usual way on/off ship. Could pick up WiFi well. Good size with enough storage space in drawers and wardrobe. Safe large enough for all our valuables including a small computer. No noise from adjacent cabins or from corridor outside. Understand towels are to be replaced as kept from previous owners of ship even though they did do their job. Air conditioning worked well. Cabin steward excellent.