“Northern Lights March 2013 and norovirus”
Cruise review of Fred. Olsen Boudicca

Lights Boudicca 4 Northern Lights March 2013 and norovirus
Lights
Member Since 2013
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
A superb cruise itinerary 13 to 27 March with most time spent up at Troms and Alta. Lots of superb snow and with good weather Captain Stein Bjrheim guided the ship along a spectacular scenic route in the inner fjords. The weather was kind with clear sky and we were treated to a most spectacular northern lights display viewable from the deck on departure from Tromso on 20 March. Ship entertainment was really good. My wife & I much enjoyed the performances of the Boudicca Show Company. All Staff worked very hard and were cheerful except for one day when the seriousness of a norovirus epidemic was apparent. The final total over the whole fortnight was 300+ of the 900 passengers infected with this rather nasty gastric virus. I spent two days in my cabin quarantined after a particularly uncomfortable night. In some ways I did not notice this lost time because the illness left me feeling so tired I slept much. Fred Olsen appear to have addressed the situation robustly. From first boarding we were all subject to a hand disinfection routine whenever moving between public areas -- like the dining room or lounges etc. The importance of hand washing was reinforced by daily announcements. Also they delayed the next sailing from Portsmouth by a day to enable the whole ship to be cleaned and fumigated but will this be enough? I am now interested to hear from anyone on the current cruise to Lisbon and the Iberian Peninsula. Has the cleanup worked?
Boudicca Cruises to the Baltic Sea
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Outside Cabin - F

F4102
Two beds and enough space beneath to hide away a normal suitcase. (But I had to lift the bed to get our suitcase under the frame.) Not very much on the TV. The ship's northern fjord locations blocked the satellite view. Attached shower and WC cubicle. No problems. Two outside portholes. The room was too hot until I found how to turn the thermostat down. The air conditioning fan was noisy first night and then I got used to it. There were some interesting creaks from the ship structure when a force 6 wind got up. On a technical note the portholes had a fine large thumbscrew to seal them shut but in this cabin it would not have worked because over the years the flexible rubber seals has been repeatedly painted over and were now too hard to permit the porthole to seal in a closed position. The cabin adequate and well presented. I am not convinced decontamination from the previous cruise had been done completely. The little fabric handles on the drawer & cupboard openers would be near impossible to fully sanitize.
Published 04/02/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Boudicca Review
Boudicca Cruises to the Baltic Sea
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?