Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by CGOMEZMIAMI: Fun Honeymoon Experience

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Fun Honeymoon Experience

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Bahamas

Occasion: Honeymoon - Overall my wife and I had a wonderful time on the Norwegian Sky.
We were very well entertained, ate well, drank plenty of booze, and got to enjoy some wonderful beaches. Nothing more I can ask for.

Cruise Dates:
Monday March 25, 2013 through March 29, 2013 (4 Nights / 5 Days)

Ship:
Norwegian Sky

Location:
Depart: Miami, FL
Destination: Bahamas

Embarkation:
We arrived to Port Miami at 1:30pm and thankfully our room was ready.
Embarkation was a breeze but make sure to have your Edocs on hand to expedite the process. You will be required to fill out a health screening form during check-in. All your purchases will be made using your room key so you must register a credit card. My wife traveled with her birth cetificate and drivers license and I traveled with my naturalization certificate and drivers license. NCL made us a sign a waiver since we were not traveling with a passport stating that if we got More left behind by the ship that it can take 3 to 4 weeks to get our passports through the US Embassy allowing us to return home. When we got on the ship we had some luch at the buffet and then went to relax in our stateroom. At 4:30pm we had the mandatory muster drill which lasted about 20 minutes.Our luggage arrived at our stateroom around 6:00pm.

Stateroom:
We stayed in room 9314 which is right next to the stairs so at times it was a bit noisey but not a serious issue. Rooms were small but cozy. Bathroom shower was tiny, barely enough room for one adult. Housekeeping did a fine job of cleaining our room daily and bringing us ice and fresh towels. Bed was comfy. There was a basic small television in our room (not HD) with some cable channels like ESPN, Cartoon Network, etc. Air condintioning worked fine never
had any issues with a hot room. There is a mini bar in the room but be careful because whatever you consume from the mini bar you will have to pay for. There was more then enough closet space and drawer space for my wife and I to put away or clothes.

Dining:
Buffet food was average. For breakfast I recommend the omelete station and the waffle station because they are made fresh right in front of you. The two main dining rooms are the Crossings Restaurant and Palace Restaurant. The food was very good at both and on the first day I had steak and lobster. I did not try the three specialty restaurants so I cant comment on them. Portions are small so dont hesitate to order two of anything; like two desserts or two appetizers. It's freestyle cruising so you can eat whenever you want, no reservations needed. A few times for lunch there was a pool side bbq with hot dogs, burgers, and corn. For breakfast they have orange juice, cranberry juice, and coffee available. For dinner we always drank water. For lunch they have flavored water; straweberry kiwi, mango tropical, and few other flavors. I didn't pay extra for the soda because I feel that's a rip-off. Room service
is available for free but after 12am there is a small fee. There is also a sports restaurant called Longboard where you can order wings and other great sports foods.

Entertainment:
I was very impressed by the Norwegian Sky production team. JC Sanchez (cruise director) and his staff did an excellent job of providing quality entertainment. Some forms of entertainment included Pool Side parties, sail away party, White Hot Party, Comedy Show, Adult Comedy Show, Las Vegas Musical, Latin Music, Triva Games, Sky Crew Talent Show, Salsa Dance Class, Cha Cha Cha Dance Class, piano tunes, Showdown the Musical, etc. There was different music playing everywhere daily from 70s, 80s, 90s, to modern pop. DJ Vibe did an excellent job creating a south beach club atmoshphere nightly in Dazzles Cabaret. The norwegian sky females dancers are HOTT and put on a great show. If you like to gamble (which I don't) there is a casino. They also put on a poker tournament and bingo game for big prizes.

Ports:
Freeport (Grand Bahama Island) - There is nothing do at this port. The view is horrible, it looks like an industrial port. There are few small shops where you can buy souviers like shot glasses, hats, shirts, etc. You will also find a Senor Frogs where you can buy alcohoic drinks and food. There are a few small vendors that sell local cuisine like conch salad. There is a taxi stand where you can catch a ride to the beach or other local destinations for a small fee.

Nassau - We booked the "Discover Atlantis with Beach Break" excursion through NCL for $79 per person which I felt was a bit overpriced for what you are actually getting. They basically transport you from the ship to Atlantis (15 minute bus ride) and leave you at the beach and that's all thats the whole excursion. They provide you with a towel and lounge chair but provide you with no tours or information. You then have to explore Atlantis on your own with no guide. You do not have acces to the water attractions with this excursion. The beach is beautiful with crystal clear blue waters. Atlantis is a gorgeous resort. No cash is accepted so make sure to bring a credit card.

Stirup Cay - My favorite of the three stops. Beautiful beach. Great BBQ food with ribs, burgers, corn, baked beans, pizza, etc. Also there were plenty of delicious fresh fruits like watermelon, papaya, cocunut, and pineapple. Music playing in the background. NCL staff set up beach games like limbo, volleyball, and beach olympics. Great day enjoying the sun and beach.

Random Notes:
1. If you need a soda fix You can buy soda and bottled water from vendors at the ports for $1.
2. Alcohol is not too expensive, about $7-$9 for drinks and bottled beer for about $5.
3. If you want to burn some calories while cruising there is a nice fitness center and the NCL provides some free ab classes.
4. The spa is nice but expensive. Less