Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by cruisenellie: 14 day great cruise with unhappy ending.

cruisenellie
Member Since 2009

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean Cruises

14 day great cruise with unhappy ending.

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Sailed from 3/9/13 on Eclipse. Beautiful ship. Rooms seem a little smaller than we remember on Solstice. Had not been to several of the ports before and enjoyed most. Aruba was so-so but I believe this is due to the shore excursion we chose because the beaches and resorts we passed were certainly more stunning than where we ended up. Curaco was very nice and relaxing. Water a little chilly and it rained for a few minutes but overall, very pretty and enjoyable. Barbados and Antiqua our favorite spots by far. St. Thomas and St. Marteen for a little souvenier shopping only since we have been here many times before. St. Lucia a bit of a disappointment for the beach break. Water was too cold so had to pretty much stay on beach and two peddlers having a turf war most of the time.

One night, assistant waiter dropped pitcher of ice water down my back. He was very apologetic and it was an accident. However, about two nights later, again, had water (minimal) spilled down my More back. I think they are just too much in a hurry and don't pay attention.

Food was good enough although seems a little less quality than past Celebrity cruises. Part of it is having the same basic selections in the cafe 14 days for lunch and breakfast. Yes, there is a wide variety but the variety remains the same daily. Overall, no complaints though.

Service was adequate but not over the top and the waiters in the cafe would sometimes almost run you over. Never saw any of them smiling.

The bad: Music so loud throughout the ship that we were in our rooms by 8:30 every evening. We had to shout at friends directly seated across from us in the coffee bar one night and when we mentioned this to guest relations, we found ourselves shouting back and forth with them as well. We were told that this increase in volume is "fleetwide". Why Celebrity has chosen to do this is beyond us. They lost money on us not utilizing the bars and lounges. While that may not seem like much, if even 50% of the people were doing the same thing, avoiding the loud music, then that's a lot of revenue to be lost. We don't drink much anyway but will pay for a coffee to sit and listen to soft music.

Our stateroom neighbors boarded with a horrible cough and I jokingly told my husband I hope the germs didn't come around the veranda divider. By day 10 of the cruise, I had a miserable head cold, earache and bronchitis. A large number of folks on this cruise were suffering from the same conditions. It is now April 1, I had to take an extra week off work and I am still in the midst of acute bronchitis as is my husband and our dinner mates whom I have kept in touch with.

Debarking was a nightmare. We did the walkoff and it was very organized getting OFF the ship. However, everyone had to walk for almost a half mile, dragging their luggage in ungodly heat with bronchitis. Even if you weren't doing early walkoff and didn't have your luggage with you, you still had a very long walk from the ship to cabs/shuttles.

In summary: Nice cruise, hard to remember because of being sick for so long now. We have always loved Celebrity and recommended her to our friends. In view of the loud music, however, we are rethinking another Celebrity cruise. Since the loud music is now inevitable on Celebrity due to an edict from "higher ups" according to guest relations, we can pay a lot less to cruise on another line and accept that loud music is part of the deal. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/Veranda Continental Deck (6) 9237

Cabin 9237. Bed by closet. Very, very little room to walk between end of bed and wall and we are not large people. Was told this was THE premium hump cabin with "HUGE" balcony. It was indeed a larger size balcony but would not consider it huge. This balcony on Solstic was larger. Still, it was nice to have extra room. Wish they would provide foot stools for ALL verandas, not just the conciercge and above. The older ships had padded loungers which were nice. Now you have to prop your feet up on the bottom rung of your little table. There is no wind on this balcony and the room is very quiet in location. Would book it again. Just don't be mislead that it is a "huge" balcony. It is indeed oversized but not huge.