Oceana Cruise Review by CruiseAlotEngland: Not so young but tries hard

CruiseAlotEngland
Member Since 2013

Not so young but tries hard

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Our 14 day Med cruise on Oceana was the only one available at the selected time that sailed from the UK. We have sailed on her 4 times before but not in the last few years. We were therefore pleased to see the upgrades - the sportsbar next to the casino is a good looking lounge now and the nightclub which looks like a carehome lounge during the day is finished well. I was pleased to see the public loos were mainly replaced too with the option of "do not use the dryer" notice stuck on it which was mainly ignored or "please use the dryer" which was also ignored judging by the amount of paper towels lying around. I couldn't work out why there was these different messages around the ship.
I have nominated Oceana for the "smallest bathroom afloat award" - we had a top stateroom (one below the mini suites) and expected a tad more room. It was time saving though as my wife could sit on the toilet, shower her hair and clean her teeth over the sink at the same time!
Entertainment by More the Theatre company was superb! We have seen many shows (particularly on RCI and Princess) where the sets are lavish but the cast could sing or dance abit but not both. On this cruise the troupe could do both very well. There was also 6 shows in 2 weeks which was excellent.
Manual Martinez, the Cuban comic and magician is well worth seeing. He told me he is on Azura next week. well worth a look.
Now my real reason for this post.
Marco Pierre White.
We did the transatlantic on Venture last year and ate breakfast in his restaurant every morning and dined there a number of evenings. Creative well presented food and signature dishes.
What do we get on Oceana? A day time casual dining area re named Marco Pierre White in the evening - selling Pizzas!
OK there were the other dishes too but nothing more exciting than what was in the main restaurant.
Where was the signature dish I asked the Matre d'? there is not one. and there was a cove charge, OK not much but this was a let down.
We have noticed how much P&O have cut down on food. Cheaper cuts of meat, lots of sauces to disguise this, steak appeared I think once during the cruise ( we did not eat in the main restaurant every night though so I may be wrong).
Finally the ventilation and extraction - for an older ship it is not powerful enough. food and waste smells were frequent. Less

Read more Oceana cruise reviews >>