Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by leekkerry: Aussies- pay inflated prices

Aussies- pay inflated prices

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

I have just completed 2 nights on the QM2, Sydney to Melbourne. Travelling on my own I paid a huge amount of money. I accepted the money and happily paid for it.

But I now discover that the equivalent 2 night cruise from South Hampton is $400 cheaper. I now feel ripped off, as that is a huge difference.

My expectations for the Qm2 was that I would be getting very high quality dinners, and high quality service.

The dinners were pretty average, although the service was very attentive at dinner. The 2nd night dinner was a touch better than the first.

Breakfast on the next morning went on for 1 1/2 hours. They were so slow in bringing us our food. Because of this I missed out on some activities. With only 1 full day at sea, I really wanted to do as many activities as I could. I should have eaten at the buffet instead.

My sheltered balcony cabin was lovely, but many rust spots on the balcony, especially around the outside door handle. My cabin More steward was nice, but I hardly saw her.

The ambiance of the ship was wonderful, especially for a lady travelling on her own, the other passengers were lovely. It was very old school, which I loved.

I dressed up for the dinners, which I thought was expected, but not everybody did. They said they would enforce the dress code in the main restaurant. Not sure they did. Still I didn't feel out of place.

The drink staff are not very attentive. On more than 1 occasion I had to go out of my way to ask for a drink. I expected better service than that. I was standing on the deck as we were sailing out of Sydney- no drink in hand with the drink waiter standing right behind watch the scenery- he never once asked me if I wanted anything. SO I didn't ask. A glass of bubbly would have gone down well at that time.

The gentleman dance hosts were lovely. But most were not very talkative. They just danced with you. The most friendliest was a gentleman that confessed to me it was his first time as a host. I guess the others were over being friendly.

There was only 1 show- on the sea day. Great singers, no razzle dazzle though and only for 3/4 hour.

I would sail again. But would have to be very wary of the prices that Cunard charge for the smaller Australian sectors. if I can't get an inside cabin not sure if I would sail again. The best sailing would probably be from Southampton to NY. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Premium Balcony - Sheltered Deck 5 5091

Cabin 5091 Cabin close to lifts(deck 5), but pretty quiet. Could hear the "pinging" sound of the lifts though. Very quiet cabin. Shower didn't drain very well. Not sure if all cabins are like this, or just mine.