Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by janjan223: Expectations Exceeded on the Freedom

janjan223
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean Cruises

Expectations Exceeded on the Freedom

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was an anniversary cruise for my husband and me. My review of the Carnival Freedom, by category:
Embarkation: Not bad. They have designated parking lots for each ship at the port, which was a plus. Inside the line seemed long but moved quickly. The embarkation was staggered and a time slot was given to you in the days before. The agent was friendly and pleasant.
Accommodations: We had a balcony stateroom, Upper Deck (6th), midship, starboard. I was surprised at the roominess of it. When we arrived the had 2 twin beds - we'd asked for a king- but a simple call to guest services and voila! the twins became a king. The room was pleasantly decorated with plenty of closet/drawer space, a couch, and an expected size bathroom. Everything was clean and well laid out. The freebie basket was a bit skimpy but the shower had liquid shampoo and soap. Plenty of towels and two nice terry robes pleasantly completed the bath. Our balcony was roomy and we really enjoyed it. The plus of a More balcony room is you get the large glass door for an expansive view of the ocean and ports.
Dining: Main: We had a window side table in the "Posh" dining room for dinner, starboard side, early seating. We shared the table with 6 nice ladies, 3 pairs, from different areas of the South. Our waiter, Pradono, kept us happy and entertained. Each night they had a little dance number the wait staff did and Pradono had the moves, plus a few magic acts, down well. Our assistant, Vadym, was also charming and efficient. We were impressed when after the first night, he spotted us at breakfast on the Lido and greeted us by name! Each night 's food was, for me, a bit better than expected. Among the dishes I had that I really enjoyed: Chateaubriand, polenta with mushrooms, a cinnamon-pumpkin-squash-cheese and something else pie (sounds wierd, tasted great). I am a fan of the cold soups and was not disappointed with the gazpacho, cucumber dill, and mango this time. My husband mostly enjoyed his dishes as well. For breakfast and lunch, we mostly went to the Lido deck for plenty of choices for every meal, 24/7 pizza and ice cream or frozen yogurt. On sea days, the dining rooms had a sit down menu brunch, really nice menu and service. Here's a tip: don't waste your money on a soda card. You can get lemonade or iced tea all day/night free on the Lido deck.
The Ship itself: I know everyone has different tastes but to be blunt I found the decor spectacularly hideous. It was also a bit crowded in some areas and deserted in others. They may have done better with the layout. I like that they have 2 official quiet areas- the Serenity deck and the Adult pool/hot tub, as well as the walkways with loungers off the lobby on 3.
Staff: Overall, extremely pleasant and helpful. I've mentioned my servers, and everyone I passed stopped what they were doing to give you a pleasant greeting. Shout out to Emily and Laura who hosted the games, below.
Entertainment: I don't need much since I 'm a reader/ relaxer, but here's what I did do: Trivia/Pictionary/scattergory games (lots of them) great fun & good way to interact w/ others. Comedy shows that I really enjoyed, and one main show, Beatles themed, which was so-so.
Debarkation: We had the option of getting off early with our luggage which we did. There was a long line for customs, but not terrible, considering it was the end of a great 8 day cruise! Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Upper 6391

Arikok National Park

(5)
We rented a car and went on our own. It's a short drive from Orenjestad and well worth it. It's a beautiful park with varied scenery: hills, desert, shrubbery, shoreline, dunes, rocky formations, and a cave with indigenous paintings.

Atlantis Submarine

(5)
I loved the Atlantis sub. From the ship you walk as a group a short distance to the dock where you go on a motorboat tot he submarine. You sit back to back at your porthole and see all kinds of interesting sea life and a couple of shipwrecks. The guide tells you what to look for and I was especially lucky to sit up front next to the assistant, Chris, who spotted many fish and pointed them out to me. It lasts about an hour underwater. On the way back they show you some sights of Aruba and see the beautiful shoreline.

Curacao is a lovely island. We enjoyed sightseeing around, and went to the Hota Caves where interesting history took place, and saw some bats and indigenous cave carvings. The island is hilly and lush. Curacoans are friendly people. We enjoyed walking over the pontoon bridge later in the evening in Willemstad. We avoided shopping but if you're going to, this is the place. There are tons of shops in an indoor/outdoor mall & entertainment area.
Read 503 Curacao Reviews

We rented a scooter and drove around the island. It's beautiful and we found the Bahamian people extremely nice and helpful. We had a problem with our scooter and thought we might not make it to the ship, so we didn't see as much of it as we would have liked. ( No fault of Carnival).
Read 781 Freeport Reviews

The town of LaRomana is quite poverty stricken, sad, dirty and kind of depressing. We spent some time in town then went on the zip line excursion, which was fun. Most people went on tours or to the beach.